Windows 10

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your grandpa doesn't like the start menu or the way the task bar looks you can download classic shell so you get a windows 7 start menu and then you can setup quick launch and remove icons and cortana from task bar. Many customizations to look like windows 7. Just got to ask and research.

speedyink

VIP Member
For the love of God don't let that man pay for Windows 8.1 twice. Once is bad enough.

You are correct though, he's gonna be stuck with 10. I truly believe people will like 10 better than 8.1 once they get used to it as it functions way more along the lines of 7 than 8/8.1. Maybe having to rebuy 8 will motivate him to stick with 10.

I know, it's a painful thought... I honestly thought he would have liked 10 better, given it's more like older Windows, but he says he got used to 8.1 when this computer came with it, and now that 10 is on there, he can't remember how to use old Windows. It's weird, I know...but I didn't ask :p I'll let him know that it can't be done, we'll see what he says.

If your grandpa doesn't like the start menu or the way the task bar looks you can download classic shell so you get a windows 7 start menu and then you can setup quick launch and remove icons and cortana from task bar. Many customizations to look like windows 7. Just got to ask and research.

I even asked him if he wanted Windows 7 on there, and he said no. He really like 8.1 for some reason. Like, the full start menu screen. Actually.. maybe that's the ticket. Doesn't Windows 10 have a full screen start mode?

Darren

Staff member
I know, it's a painful thought... I honestly thought he would have liked 10 better, given it's more like older Windows, but he says he got used to 8.1 when this computer came with it, and now that 10 is on there, he can't remember how to use old Windows. It's weird, I know...but I didn't ask :p I'll let him know that it can't be done, we'll see what he says.

I even asked him if he wanted Windows 7 on there, and he said no. He really like 8.1 for some reason. Like, the full start menu screen. Actually.. maybe that's the ticket. Doesn't Windows 10 have a full screen start mode?

Type into Cortana "Use Start full screen". I know how older folks can be about changing OS's. :D

Darren

Staff member
Thread necro, but might be worth checking for some of you. It would seem the Microsoft store sometimes duplicates apps on the hard drive, taking up extra space.

I had Forza 7 installed on my 525GB SSD. Being a 100GB game this was a big usage of my space. When I bought Forza Horizon 4 today I realized I'd need to do some shuffling to fit it on to my nearly full SSD. Using WinDirStat I discovered that there were 2 folders in the WindowsApps directory, each 98.5GB and for Forza 7. I uninstalled it via Apps and Programs and one disappeared but not the other. Since the WindowsApps folder is hidden, blocked, and the owner hidden, I couldn't manually delete it. I had to manually make myself the owner for the entire WindowsApps folder (with inheritance) before I could get rid of the Forza 7 directory. Even then it still didn't let me delete all of it, about 2GB remains.

Now for a lot of apps this isn't a big deal but when a single game is taking up 40 percent of my SSD, something's not quite right. Glad I noticed it. Might be a good idea to run WinDirStat if you have any bigger games thru the Windows Store. Also, you'll need to run it as Admin because as a standard user WinDirStat misses all the hidden and system files.

Sidenote: I believe that File Explorer now supports dark mode, which was one of the single biggest things I wanted out of W10 since day one. Looks pretty solid, I've been running it for a month or two on an Insider build.

Jiniix

I had all my machines running 1607 LTSB, which is the perfect Windows 10 version imo. But I tried going from 1607 LTSB to 1803 Pro on all my Windows machines, because I wanted GPU% in Task Manager and FM Dark Mode eventually.
I'm going back to LTSB soon, already re-installed all machines except my main rig. Having a "Pro" version of Windows 10 and being forced to install Disney Magic Kingdom and Candy Crush is beyond unacceptable to me. I literally had to bork Store Apps to the point where my calculator app no longer works, and if I open the Start Menu, I can still see the ongoing 0% installs of all that crapware.
You no longer buy a Windows license, you rent it. I don't like that.
I really wanted to go back to Windows 7, but I don't want to install third party software to get non-active mouseover scrolling, which I've basicly become dependent on. So LTSB it is again.

UnholyVision

I really wanted to go back to Windows 7, but I don't want to install third party software to get non-active mouseover scrolling, which I've basicly become dependent on. So LTSB it is again.
Yeah, that's the sad part of Windows now. The best option if you're not tied into the Windows ecosystem to much and willing to change up a bit GNU/Linux is one of the best options to get that Windows 7 feel back. You can even make it look the same if that is your preference. (https://www.noobslab.com/2014/04/make-your-ubuntulinux-mint-look-like.html)

Darren

Staff member

Say what now? That's not true. Microsoft is selling "Windows as a service" or something like that but that's for businesses that basically lease/rent out a machine that has Windows on it.

Thought they'd made it pretty clear conventional licenses weren't going anywhere but maybe I missed something.

Jiniix

Yeah, that's the sad part of Windows now. The best option if you're not tied into the Windows ecosystem to much and willing to change up a bit GNU/Linux is one of the best options to get that Windows 7 feel back. You can even make it look the same if that is your preference. (https://www.noobslab.com/2014/04/make-your-ubuntulinux-mint-look-like.html)
Only thing tying me to Windows is game performance. Most of my games work decent on Linux (Prefer XUbuntu or Mint), but some don't work at all.

Say what now? That's not true. Microsoft is selling "Windows as a service" or something like that but that's for businesses that basically lease/rent out a machine that has Windows on it.

Thought they'd made it pretty clear conventional licenses weren't going anywhere but maybe I missed something.
I wasn't actually talking about Windows as a Service :) More the fact that you have no control over your "own" operating system anymore. If I pay $199 (I obviously don't, but stick with me) I want to NOT be forced to have crappy games and archive-handlers etc. jammed down my throat.

UnholyVision

Only thing tying me to Windows is game performance. Most of my games work decent on Linux (Prefer XUbuntu or Mint), but some don't work at all.
Which games, what hardware, which drivers, and have you used Proton?

Edit: I guess I can look at your signature for the hardware. xD ASUS GTX 780 3GB DCII 941MHz/6008MHz

Darren

Staff member

I wasn't actually talking about Windows as a Service :) More the fact that you have no control over your "own" operating system anymore. If I pay $199 (I obviously don't, but stick with me) I want to NOT be forced to have crappy games and archive-handlers etc. jammed down my throat.

Just be glad you're not in charge of upgrading probably 300ish machines from Windows 7 to 10 and all the fun that involves. :D I've been learning group policy to strong arm certain aspects of 10 like the bloated games, mess of a start menu, and other such weirdness as it crops up.

Edit: I guess I can look at your signature for the hardware. xD ASUS GTX 780 3GB DCII 941MHz/6008MHz

I have been tempted to try dual booting just to see how it is these days, I haven't tried gaming with Linux in a few years now. Used to use it for school/programming. Unfortunately there's no getting around the fact that gaming is easier and more stable on Windows. Yes it's much easier to game on Linux than in years passed but there's a lot to be said for native OS support when all you're trying to do is relax and unwind with a game. Particularly when Microsoft publishes them like Forza. :p

UnholyVision

1)I have been tempted to try dual booting just to see how it is these days, I haven't tried gaming with Linux in a few years now.

2) Unfortunately there's no getting around the fact that gaming is easier and more stable on Windows.

3) Yes it's much easier to game on Linux than in years passed but there's a lot to be said for native OS support when all you're trying to do is relax and unwind with a game.

4) Particularly when Microsoft publishes them like Forza. :p
1) That is something everyone should do. Specially in this day and age where Linux gaming is quiet easy and much easier with things like Proton. The official version of Wine built into the Steam client. Which runs about 90% of games. With a possible launch option on some or executable tweak, but usually not that hard.

2) Not at all. On GNU/Linux you don't even have to wait to play your game after installing it in Steam. No first time setup or any of that crap. Native games install in an instant and off you go.

3) Have you even looked at what is native on Linux? We have Deus Ex games, Dirt series games, Lara Croft games, Shadow of Mordor, and a lot of titles for the OS. Mind you some are binary wrapped, but binary wrapped is not WINE in the slightest, but honestly with how WINE + DXVK is I wouldn't care.

4) https://store.steampowered.com/app/537450/ReCore_Definitive_Edition/ <-- Microsoft Studios title

<--- Steam Proton running the game like it was nothing. With D3D11 support. (Skip to about 1:18 to see gameplay footage).

----
Not try to come off as brass or rude. It just seems like you have been out of touch with what is happening in Linux. Nor am I trying to say everything is perfect. Because AMD has a long ways to go even. Yet if you're Nvidia carding it up you're usually pretty solid. Specially when using the latest drivers. (It's just the Penguin has had a fire light under it and things are changing rapidly. :p)

Last edited:

Jiniix

Actually quite old signature. I've since moved on to a Ryzen 1800X PC, then gave that to my brother and bought a i7-8700K based setup, along with a 1080 ti. Might get around to update the sig.
The problematic games are GTA: V, which doesn't run at all (and I also don't have the Steam version, so only WINE can be tried, not Proton yet) and World of Warcraft.
Right now I can't even install the Battle.net Client, and that type of future insecurity is not something I'm interested in.

Just be glad you're not in charge of upgrading probably 300ish machines from Windows 7 to 10 and all the fun that involves. :D I've been learning group policy to strong arm certain aspects of 10 like the bloated games, mess of a start menu, and other such weirdness as it crops up.
Thing is that the Group Policy on Pro doesn't respect the games. Same with metadata collecting. Only Enterprise or Server respects those settings.
But yeah, it's quite a process. We've just gone through it here at work.

I have been tempted to try dual booting just to see how it is these days, I haven't tried gaming with Linux in a few years now. Used to use it for school/programming. Unfortunately there's no getting around the fact that gaming is easier and more stable on Windows. Yes it's much easier to game on Linux than in years passed but there's a lot to be said for native OS support when all you're trying to do is relax and unwind with a game. Particularly when Microsoft publishes them like Forza. :p
I wanted to dual boot back on my 2600K build, but I was using RAID0, and keeping my current Windows was essentially impossible.
After not being able to do it myself, I asked my turbo linux nerd friend (Gentoo-type) to help me, and he also concluded it was basicly impossible.

UnholyVision

The problematic games are GTA: V, which doesn't run at all (and I also don't have the Steam version, so only WINE can be tried, not Proton yet) and World of Warcraft.

Right now I can't even install the Battle.net Client, and that type of future insecurity is not something I'm interested in.
I will look into that game soon. I'll see if I can get it running via Steam and make a tutorial video on it if I can. Believe I have to buy that one. I think I never bought it because Saints Row series of games were native to Linux when that was coming out. :p
Edit: The game is on sale on Steam too. What a perfect coinkydink. :D

I've installed Battle.net, OverWatch, SCII, and various other games through Wine. Though I don't suggest doing it that way anymore. If it isn't on Steam It's so much easier doing it through Lutris. You download Lutris from a package manager, make an account, search for the game, & just hit the install button. It configures Wine and everything the way someone who had it working set it up.
https://lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft/ (It seems that this game even has the highest grade of performance. "Platinum" with a Wine + DXVK install.

I wanted to dual boot back on my 2600K build, but I was using RAID0, and keeping my current Windows was essentially impossible.
After not being able to do it myself, I asked my turbo linux nerd friend (Gentoo-type) to help me, and he also concluded it was basicly impossible.
My suggestion is take it to a Linux Fest at some point. Heck you missed the 2018 one sadly. I would have even agreed to take a look at it, in person. There is always a lounge area with people helping people setup Linux setup machines their having issues with.

Your friend sounds kind of cool. I'm a Gentoo, Arch, and Linux Scratch kind of person. Though I must admit Arch is my favorite for the AUR. Gentoo second as I still have to compile a lot. Third scratch because that's just hobbyist material otherwise you're always compiling. xD

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
1) That is something everyone should do. Specially in this day and age where Linux gaming is quiet easy and much easier with things like Proton. The official version of Wine built into the Steam client. Which runs about 90% of games. With a possible launch option on some or executable tweak, but usually not that hard.

2) Not at all. On GNU/Linux you don't even have to wait to play your game after installing it in Steam. No first time setup or any of that crap. Native games install in an instant and off you go.

3) Have you even looked at what is native on Linux? We have Deus Ex games, Dirt series games, Lara Croft games, Shadow of Mordor, and a lot of titles for the OS. Mind you some are binary wrapped, but binary wrapped is not WINE in the slightest, but honestly with how WINE + DXVK is I wouldn't care.

4) https://store.steampowered.com/app/537450/ReCore_Definitive_Edition/ <-- Microsoft Studios title

<--- Steam Proton running the game like it was nothing. With D3D11 support. (Skip to about 1:18 to see gameplay footage).

----
Not try to come off as brass or rude. It just seems like you have been out of touch with what is happening in Linux. Nor am I trying to say everything is perfect. Because AMD has a long ways to go even. Yet if you're Nvidia carding it up you're usually pretty solid. Specially when using the latest drivers. (It's just the Penguin has had a fire light under it and things are changing rapidly. :p)

Oh I'll fully admit to being out of the loop with Linux lately. It's just not something I feel like messing with on my personal machine. Windows does everything I need and I quite like it overall. I've messed around with it a few times, mainly for a programming class 4 years ago in college.

I'm in an IT dept that is exclusively Windows and that's what I'm comfortable with and plan to specialize in as I continue my career. I don't even game much anymore on my Windows PC. I am aware there are more and more native titles these days. I was hoping Vulkan would push that more but alas... I'm actually an AMD guy usually, despite the 1080.

And good luck getting any modern Microsoft Studios game to run on anything but W10. :p

UnholyVision

I'm in an IT dept that is exclusively Windows and that's what I'm comfortable with and plan to specialize in as I continue my career. I don't even game much anymore on my Windows PC. I am aware there are more and more native titles these days. I was hoping Vulkan would push that more but alas...

I'm actually an AMD guy usually, despite the 1080.

And good luck getting any modern Microsoft Studios game to run on anything but W10. :p
Well no one is forcing you to change or even insisted such a thing. Use whatever floats your boat.

AMD in the mid range cards work fine with the opensource drivers out of the box. Though put something like Vega in there and you're going to have trouble. Mainly because someone had the brilliant idea to make it require both Mesa & the proprietary driver. xD There are literally packages that you have the two drivers running side by side for one card. One of the annoying things too is you have to know to install these packages before starting your distro of choose. Otherwise boot Grub and blackscreen. Well unless you have "nomodeset" set to kill amd_gpu calls, lol. Which is why Nvidia is just a must for some people. (I'm hopping now that AMD's profits are rising with Ryzen they really crack down on the GPU side for Linux).

Modern? You mean out of the M$ Store? Why would anyone want to buy from such a place to begin with? Microshaft is known to kill off purchases for everything making customers loose their digital content. They did it to Zune, GFW-L, and many others. Heck people dished out hundreds in DLC for some of those GFW-L titles and lost access to everything.

On a side note to that, why couldn't one get those to run? Their not even native. Everything that comes out of the store is in a software wrapper called UWP(Universal Windows Platform). It's basically a FlatPak or AppImg ready to be used on any Microsoft platform. One reason why a lot of people were complaining about performance when those games first came out. On that note UWP has official cross platform support for Windows, Mac, & Linux on a majority of the pieces implemented in the wrapper lol. Only some snippets of the MS development pages.

UWP apps take advantage of the new Microsoft .NET Core Framework (explained in detail later in this article)

.NET Core Framework is open source and available on GitHub (github.com/dotnet/corefx) and is supported by Microsoft on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. If you’re a UWP developer utilizing the latest .NET technology, this brings you huge advantages. In Visual Studio 2015, you can utilize .NET Core portable class libraries (PCLs) to target any UWP app, .NET 4.6 app or ASP.NET 5 app—even those that are cross-platform.
(Funny thing is a lot of it's opensoure on GitHub and another the other funny thing is Microsoft now purchased GitHub. Yet UWP is locked into the Windows Store. AKA GitHub will soon be renamed Windows Store. Okay maybe not. xD) (Edit: Yes I understand what .Net is, trust me I do. I only quoted that one part so this isn't a whole book).

That would be quite the feat, considering it's very well documented to not run past the launcher.
I have high hopes for getting it to run. I read into what the game uses for game install scripts and the works. Only problem right now is the game is basically 80GB. I'm only half way done downloading, lol.

Darren

Staff member
Actually you're right about UWP being somewhat cross platform. I should know that considering we talked about it in my web programming class and are using Visual Studio 2017. :D The fact that it's a Microsoft published game is more what I'm getting at rather than it being a UWP product. The entire game is baked into you having an Xbox profile (even on PC) and the overall functionality needs it.

Also don't get me wrong, I dislike the Windows Store, much prefer Steam for numerous reasons. However when the game is exclusive to the platform, you gotta play ball if you want to play their games (legally at least). I imagine getting it to the point of being playable on Linux would violate some license agreements.

I too am hoping for AMD to get it together, I would have bought Vega if it wasn't such a dumpster fire.