windows 8 beta is now out

wolfeking

banned
fair enough. But there could be an option for it. Just have it ask for your preferred, like metro or classic. Then if you want to change for whatever reason, just log out and pick the other and be back without a reinstall.

MyCattMaxx

It's really not much of an issue so far with W8.
I just click on the tile for desktop and I forget metro is there until I reboot.

wolfeking

banned
ok.

I don't know why Im even worrying about it, cause it will be a good 30 years before I need to think about using it. Until then I got XP, Vista and 7 to go through first.

wolfeking

banned
not really. There is going to be a point where the hardware will not support it anymore, and a point when you have to modify the base code of practically everything to run it. I personally love it, but I also know there will be a day when it will no longer be logical to use as my primary OS.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
...it will be a good 30 years before I need to think about using it...

In my case it will be 30 years of XP :D
Besides I don't have to worry about the hardware support since my computer is 15 years old and still works great and if it FINALLY after 15 years dies in the next few days then that is not going to be a problem since there are TONS TONS TONS of computers with hardware apcapable of working with Windows XP.
So if EVERY system lasts for at least 15 years to me then just 2 computers are more than enough for me to last 30 years on Windows XP lol.

I am not one of those who buy new system every 2 years or more often anyway...

God I still can't believe it's been 15 years...sh!t man :D

wolfeking

banned
That is all well and good. But I try to stay somewhat up to date when I go for upgrades. But that is not to say that I need to loose 2k because of it. It will run on my hardware for now. Hardware being: Dell motherboard running 915PM/ICH7, Quadro FX2500m, T7200, 3GB RAM, IDE mode, 120 GB HDD. Battery and all the other basic hardware.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
That is all well and good. But I try to stay somewhat up to date when I go for upgrades.

I forgot to say I get them for free so I cannot complain wether the hardware is weak or super strong.It's important that XP works on it:D
I don't really do any gaming.I more lose time on programming.
And as long as I am not playing the most modern games,I do NOT need strong hardware.

Everything is about the optimizations.If you do everything correct in the correct order then ANY program can work on a very very very old and weak hardware just great and stable 100%.
I tryed the newest programs on my 15 years old system and they run so damn great.
Not to mention I installed XP in 2004. and until 2004. I used Windows 98.
And now it's 2012. and everything still works so damn great.
Of course like I said...modern games are the ONLY thing which do not work good/fast/at all,but that's logical since games DO require strong hardware to work good.But then again that is not a problem to me at ALL since I don't really play any games.
If I ever decide to play games,I will get myself a good and strong laptop...for free of course.Always for free :D
How?:D.............Does it matter?:D

But until I become a crazy gamer,I am staying with my 15 years old system.

By the way the thing I like the most are the people to who new programs barely work on their STRONG systems and on mine they work great.Explain that lol.
The answer is simple: They do not know how to properly use computers...

Of course they say that they DO know how to use it properly...
But if that's true then why would they need 16 GB of RAM to run a simple program and I with just 512 MB of RAM can run the SAME program just fine?

Plus I have about 30 background programs running at the same time all the time and about 70 active processes total running at the same time all the time too and STILL every single thing works so damn good and stable 100%...

They on the other hand have about 20 processes or less running and maybe 2 or 4 programs running in the same time in the background and ALREADY their system works slow and they need to upgrade from 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM???

All I can say on that is: "LOL!"

Cheers!

Okedokey

Everything is about the optimizations.If you do everything correct in the correct order then ANY program can work on a very very very old and weak hardware just great and stable 100%.

By the way the thing I like the most are the people to who new programs barely work on their STRONG systems and on mine they work great.Explain that lol.
The answer is simple: They do not know how to properly use computers...
All I can say on that is: "LOL!"

Cheers!

^Pretty much somes up everything he has ever said on the topic. But seriously Stars, most of us game. Your computer would give birth to a perhistoric ram-manbitch if you tried to run Battlefield 3. Thats the point of the extra RAM and processing horsepower. We wouldn't have that if we didn't need it. You clearly don't, so yes, that computer in my wall clock should be able to run aero somehow.... :eek:

In my case it will be 30 years of XP :D
Besides I don't have to worry about the hardware support since my computer is 15 years old and still works great and if it FINALLY after 15 years dies in the next few days then that is not going to be a problem since there are TONS TONS TONS of computers with hardware apcapable of working with Windows XP.
So if EVERY system lasts for at least 15 years to me then just 2 computers are more than enough for me to last 30 years on Windows XP lol.

I am not one of those who buy new system every 2 years or more often anyway...

God I still can't believe it's been 15 years...sh!t man :D

Sadly, xp won't work with the new soft ware in prob even 10 years.

Geoff

VIP Member
Windows XP has been out for 11 years and still support 99% of the Windows software released, and will for years to come. Mac on the other hand is the complete opposite, Snow Leopard has only been out for a couple years and a lot of the new Mac software won't run fully on anything less then Lion.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned

There is TONS of software for Windows XP for ANYTHING you could possibly need to.
There are at least few hundreds software for EVERY SINGLE THING you could possibly need.
So that is not really worrying me lol.

I do not change my programs very often anyway.And if there is ever going to be a program I need which doesn't work on Windows XP,you can always make your own that works under XP.

Besides almost all programs work just great under Windows XP so it is going to be a LOOOOOOOOONG time before 99% of the programs will not work under Windows XP.

Hell newest Microsoft Office and Visual Studio work under Windows XP so I am pretty sure that other a LOT smaller programs made by someone else will work under Windows XP too.
And those programs which work only under Windows 7 are so damn rare.But even if they become often,you can ALWAYS find a replacement program for the SAME thing since there are TONS of software for the same thing which DO work under Windows XP and even Windows 2000 and 98 lol.

This is I guess one of the reasons why every single program I make MUST work on Windows 98 first edition and newer...:D
I never release the program if it doesn't work under Windows 98 first edition or newer...:cool:
The more program(s) is/are compatible with old and new operating system(s),the better it is and the bigger profit you will get.

Take a look at it this way.Not EVERY computer uses Windows 7.MANY MANY MANY of them still use Windows 98,ME,2000 and XP.
So if you want to sell your software MANY times,it is a bigger chance you will sell it if it works on MANY Windows operating systems than just on one or two.And the users surely won't spend a lot of money on new hardware AND new operating system just to be able to run your program lol.They will rather buy the program which does exactly the same thing from someone else who DOES support older hardware and Windows operating systems.

The software I am working on currently already for about 8 months is the UAC keyboard spy 1.0 and it WILL be completely supported on Windows 98 first edition or newer.

I always say: The more compatible your software is,more money you will earn on it.

Okedokey

Take a look at it this way.Not EVERY computer uses Windows 7.MANY MANY MANY of them still use Windows 98,ME,2000 and XP.

Theres issues with most of your argument, but the main one (to save time) is that the figures don't agree with you.

Windows XP makes up 45% of the total. About the same marketshare as Windows Vista and Windows 7 combined (8.22% and 36.4% respectively). So Windows XP represents less than half the developer market at best (February 2012 figures), but unfortunately its nose-diving.

For productivity you're correct in some cases, for gaming you're not. Many games that look better with DX11, need Windows 7 (rightly or wrongly). The point is, Windows 7 is more stable, supports more hardware straight out of the box, faster and does more. XP looks like its Fabre Castle 1985 style. I use both, XP for work, Win 7 at home. XP is painful in comparison to a nice machine running Win 7. And don't give me this BS about me not knowing computers.

But essentially the trend is XP down at the same rate as Windows 7 goes up. At current trajectory the trend shows about 18 months - 3 years left of XP market share mattering to anyone, thus developer interest.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
1. I never said you do not know how to use computers.I really do not see where you dragged out that information from lol.All I said is that there are many people who do not know how to properly use computers,but they think they do.I never mentioned you...

2. Yes Windows 7 IS better for games because of new DirectX 10 and 11,but I was not talking about the games at all...I was talking about the programs and their compatibility...

3. You said that Windows XP makes 45% of the total.Ok so?
I honestly do not care what percentage usage for every OS is since my programs are always compatible with any OS.So even if Windows 7 is 100% and XP is 0%,to me it's still the same.All I said is that MANY computers still use old OS...that's it...

Cheers!

Yes, but in the speed that new software and whatnot comes out, xp will not run on it anymore. I give it 10, 15 years max before xp will not work with anything. Look now for example, There are already computers that will not run xp anymore. And I was not talking about programs, I was talking about drivers.

Btw S.t.a.r.s , Why do you like xp so much? Vista Is more my type, but why is it that people like xp so much? Will be pleased to hear from you.:)

wolfeking

banned
Having used 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (these pics to prove it in the post your desktop thread http://www.computerforum.com/search.php?searchid=3418849) I personally like 2000 so much because of its small footprint. XP too to some degree, but it just looks too funky to me.
Vista and 7 are ok for what they are, but I think they went too far with the eye candy. I don't feel that it is faster on my machines (Athlon II x2 M300, Core 2 T7100, T7200, and i3-380m) at least not noticeably.

To each his own, but I am not changing because your arguments weather based in fact or in research, or in opinion does not take into account one thing. The fact that I Don't Care. Windows 7 could automate the house and drive my truck, I still would not care, as 2000 will do everything I need, so why upgrade to more than you need, and have to relearn the steps to do things and such?

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes, but in the speed that new software and whatnot comes out, xp will not run on it anymore. I give it 10, 15 years max before xp will not work with anything. Look now for example, There are already computers that will not run xp anymore. And I was not talking about programs, I was talking about drivers.

Btw S.t.a.r.s , Why do you like xp so much? Vista Is more my type, but why is it that people like xp so much? Will be pleased to hear from you.:)

Do you mean 10-15 years from now? If so, getting 20-25 years from an OS is unheard of.

The reason people like XP is because it just works. Especially in corporate environments, which are still primarily running XP, there is no need to change to Windows 7 when your current OS works just fine and handles all the apps you need. Licensing is also more of a pain with Windows 7.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I like ALL Microsoft Windows operating systems.They are ALL great to me and there is not a SINGLE ONE I hate lol.

But Windows XP is the best to me for many reasons.Some of them are normal,some of them are stupid and some of them are weird.Of course that is just me lol.Here are few:

-Windows XP was the last OS that fits on the CD-ROM disk...
(Like I said...weird reasons:D)

-It has built-in nice and useful things...
(Nice and useful tools which you can use without using extra programs)

-It is compatible with almost any software...
(Most of the things work great on it with no problems.And if in the future programs stop supporting XP,there are still TONS of software for the same thing)

-It has nice classic look...
(It has nice classic look which is almost the same as the one from Windows 95/98 and you can also modify it to look the way you want to)

-Many things are easy to perform and easily found...
(The organization of how things are arranged is simple and logical)

-Problems...
(Easy to fix ANY problem.Of course that's easy on ANY OS if you know how to fix it lol)

-I like using older software to perform something...
(Newest is not always the best :D)

-Habit...
(If you are used to something and it works great and does everything you need great,there is no point in changing it)

-Cost...
(It would be a fortune if I decide to buy a new OS for all computers I have.Especially when here where I live Windows 7 costs around 300 dollars minimum.So 300 x TheNumberOfAllComputersIHave = A LOT OF MONEY)

-Less problems...
(Less problems with the functionality and stability.But I guess that's just me lol)

-It uses a lot less space than newest OS...
(XP uses only around 2 GB when it's installed while newest OS takes more.Sure that's not a problem for you,but imagine your HDD is 30 GB lol)

-Visual Studio 2002 support...
(Older versions of Visual Studio INCLUDING the newest ones work perfectly on XP while on Windows 7 for example Visual Studio 2002 and 2003 do not work at all or do not work properly.Of course there is always a way,but the hell with that lol)

-RAM memory...
(Just 128 MB of RAM memory is enough to run XP smoothly)

-OS family...
(The way things work and the way they are organized are the same as in older Windows such as Windows 95/98 only in XP they are just a little bit enhanced.And I just like that way)

-Driver support...
(It's easy to find drivers for XP OS.But of course that applies for newer OS too)

-Simplicity...
(The way how things work in XP is great and simple while in let's say Windows 7 it is totally different and I just don't like it.Of course that doesn't mean OS is bad.It's just different and I am an old fashion I guess)

-And a LOT more...
(Blablabla:D)

CONCLUSION:

All Windows operating systems are great.To some Windows 98 is great,to some it's Windows 2000,to some it's Windows XP,to some it's Windows Vista,to some it's Windows 7 and so on......

So which Windows OS is the best?
The answer is: NONE.They are all good.The best one is the one which does the job right for YOU on the way YOU want.

Like I said...I will be using Windows XP until at least 2020. simply because it does the job right on the way I want it to.
On the other hand to many OTHER people Windows 7 is the best and does the job right for THEM on THEIR way.
Same applies for ANY OS...

Cheers!

MyCattMaxx

And all this time I thought this was a Win 8 thread.

You have done a fine job of hijacking this thread S.T.A.R.S.