Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

just a noob

woot, looks like im either going to be buying 3 more 9800gt's or gs's, maybe even a couple of gx2's plus the 9800gt i have sitting on my desk right now :D oh, and i found that 4 8800gs's bring in around 15k ppd :D

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hi guys,

I finally got down to some updating of the F@H threads. It pleases me to see that we have over 120 CPU/GPUs folding for us! Impressive to say the least. Imagine all the teams and where we stand. United we fold :p

JAN :D

Kesava

Just signed up.
Are you guys still doing this?

IN the configuration menu, what is the passkey field for?

I'm not doing it cos I don't currently have my desktop, but alot of others here are. Good on you for signing up :)

You don't have to put a passkey in. That is only if you go and create one. There doesn't need to be one.

Hyper_Kagome

It's been awhile since I've gotten any folding done, and I feel kind of bad for not doing any. My desktop in my room isn't set up for folding at the moment, and I'd much like to upgrade it before I even try to fold on it. It has some serious heating issues...

the computer that my parents have, that use to be the family computer... I'm not sure if they still have the F&H thing running on there. I'm sure they didn't remove it, since they aren't all that computer smart... but I also can't remember if it's still folding while it's turned on.

I do have a PS3, but I haven't had that Folding lately, either. Ever since our move, things have kind of went... poof on a lot of things. Once I get back to my mom's I plan on just setting up the PS3 to Fold when I'm not playing games on it (Ex: playing on the Wii or 360)

The only problem so far is that my mom isn't happy with me keeping the computer on over night due to, "That's money, you know." Though... I doubt turning it off each night would really make much of a difference, would it?

just a noob

i don't think so, i think someone figured that the energy it takes to get the hard drive platters spinning and for how long they are just spinning, it is about equal to how much it uses overnight, if you're really tight, i think you can make the program only have about a 25 percent load

Buzz1927

Digaredd
It's been awhile since I've gotten any folding done, and I feel kind of bad for not doing any. My desktop in my room isn't set up for folding at the moment, and I'd much like to upgrade it before I even try to fold on it. It has some serious heating issues...

the computer that my parents have, that use to be the family computer... I'm not sure if they still have the F&H thing running on there. I'm sure they didn't remove it, since they aren't all that computer smart... but I also can't remember if it's still folding while it's turned on.

I do have a PS3, but I haven't had that Folding lately, either. Ever since our move, things have kind of went... poof on a lot of things. Once I get back to my mom's I plan on just setting up the PS3 to Fold when I'm not playing games on it (Ex: playing on the Wii or 360)

The only problem so far is that my mom isn't happy with me keeping the computer on over night due to, "That's money, you know." Though... I doubt turning it off each night would really make much of a difference, would it?
Well, you're still getting points so I guess it's from the family comp. The PS3 will get a lot more points than the comp (I don't fold on my comp at all), unless you have a supported graphics card, and leaving it running 24 hours doesn't really use much electric. If your mum doesn't believe it, ask mep if you can lend his gadget! :p

Hyper_Kagome

i don't think so, i think someone figured that the energy it takes to get the hard drive platters spinning and for how long they are just spinning, it is about equal to how much it uses overnight, if you're really tight, i think you can make the program only have about a 25 percent load

It's not that we're tight, it's just that my mom gets picky. Leaving lights on all day I can understand, but when I'm not using my computer the monitor is off and all that, so it's not like I'm leaving it 100% on... I'm sure you understand that. lol..

f.i.t.h

Just got latest power bill.

$150 for gas and electricity

$3.## per day electricity

Its the middle of summer ffs. Hot as hell, the only heating in my house is my computer. (If i shut the door and windows in the room its in while folding, it reaches over 30*C ambient *cough* gpu *cough*)

Meh, I'll still continue folding on my rig, although I will nor fold as much when I go back to school in Feb.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I started folding on the CF team and have a few questions...

1. Can I pause my work and shut down my PC for the night and restart where I left off the next day? I have been folding this packet for about 12 hours and only have 50% complete. I don't want to start all over again. I see a place to "pause work" but not sure if I will start again the same thing and continue where I left off. I have been folding wide open graphical!

2. When I look at user statistics...it has me as contributing for 5 different teams? My team number is the CF team number, 44358.
"ScOuT has contributed work units with more than one different team number"

Sorry about the noob questions...this is new to me...I searched for the answers but didn't find anything real black and white:eek:

Last edited:

Kesava

You can just shutdown the computer and it will continute when you start it up again. However depending on the WU, some have a short deadline, so you may want to be careful of leaving it for too long.

As for the second thing, I have no idea.

ScOuT

VIP Member
You can just shutdown the computer and it will continute when you start it up again. However depending on the WU, some have a short deadline, so you may want to be careful of leaving it for too long.

As for the second thing, I have no idea.

Thanks for the info...I figured it out last night. I shut it down and fired it back up and did some folding. It started right where I left off. I have until March 20 to complete it, in 12 hours I made it 60% running wide open.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Scout, are you running the CPU or GPU client? You can run both...the GTX 260 is a monster.

I'm folding on the GPU in my sig.

Hyper_Kagome

Well, I've got my PS3 up and running, it generally folds while I'm asleep, or when I'm not playing games. I do give the thing a rest now and then though. :eek:

I'm pleased to say that in a matter of just a few days, I've jumped up four spots on the team's board., from 63 to 59. I'm glad that I'm helping, even just a tiny bit, with cancer and the likes.

PabloTeK

I'm folding on my GTX 260 and have moved from 112th to 73rd! I'll keep going too as unlike my old GT this thing doesn't get to hot... :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm folding on my GTX 260 and have moved from 112th to 73rd! I'll keep going too as unlike my old GT this thing doesn't get to hot... :)

Awesome! The GTX 260 is a folding monster. If you overclock it and bump the fan speed a little, you'll get more PPD.

PabloTeK

Yeah, at stock it gets a decent PPD so I',m happy with it. Bizarrely the client fails self test due to an unstable machine but a restart fixes it and Crysis etc still run fine?! :confused:

PabloTeK

It's random, today it's gone through 3-4 WU's fine but some other days it may only do 1 or 2. I think it may be a 7 issue though, temps are never above 70 or so and the card does sit at stock.

Strange EDIT: According to GPU-Z and EVGA's Precison tool my card is an SC model not a standard one which the box reckons it is?!

OddGTXClock.png

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It's random, today it's gone through 3-4 WU's fine but some other days it may only do 1 or 2. I think it may be a 7 issue though, temps are never above 70 or so and the card does sit at stock.

Yeah, it could be a compatibility issue. The only time I received that error was when I had the card OC'd too high.