i7 Temps worry

FuryRosewood

hes not overclocking...hes undervolting, stock clockrate, just lowering vcore to lower the temperature of the chip

87dtna

Oh. Sorry but thats not smart. He needs to RMA the chip, there's no way it should be hitting 100c at stock clocks and voltage...there's obviously something wrong with the chip.
Undervolting is a bandaid, and it only makes him run out of the time he has left on the warranty to RMA the chip. It's a waste off time.

FuryRosewood

could very well hit 100C... depending on the air pressure of the area, and his case's ventilation, the chip could hit temps, and honestly its not going thermal and shutting down, so i dont think the chip is defective... chips have a wide 'operating voltage' and you can dial in on that, as well as under, he has room to play, and honestly the chip may just be set to the top of the operating voltage...had that happen with the TL-60 with RMClock, when it was first installed in the system, it was set to a 'baseline default' of 1.17v Vcore, i dialed it down to around 1V and it has been perfectly happy since... hell after hearing how hot that intel i7s hit with the stock cooler, im fairly sure there is nothing wrong with the chip, and honestly i havent heard of many cpu's being defective from the factory...at least in my experience, quality control at AMD and Intel is quite good...

im fairly sure if i ran the phenom ii 955 at 1.4v vcore at the stock clockrate, with the stock heatsink, and loaded it heavily, it would hit high 80s and 90s...so i dont see why a 130W cpu would not hit nearly 100C

Last edited:

87dtna

Air ''pressure'' causing higher temps? Are you serious?

Intel doesn't thermal shutdown, they thermal throttle.....the CPU drops the multiplier and underclocks + undervolts automatically to keep the temps down. You could overclock to 4ghz on the stock cooler and all it would do when you loaded it was clock it back down, never shut down.

You can be fairly sure if you want, but you are wrong. A 955 at stock clocks and 1.4 Vcore would never exceed out of the 50's celsius on a stock cooler.

Crawl back into your AMD bubble, because you don't know anything about intel....and apparently not much about AMD either anyway.

FuryRosewood

not going to feed that insult...but how about going and taking a seat away from a computer for a while, because i think the heat got to you as well...i think you need time to chill out... i have seen socket 775 based machines do a thermal shutdown when the cpu heatsink became unlatched and under normal circumstances, the thing would run within the specifications of the chip...but then under load it would jump past that and *poof* go off, maybe check that the retention clamp is completely seated? those pins are a real pain in the bum sometimes to get seated, i know when i did the last one i dealt with, i decided to just skip the pins, and go with springscrews if i went Intel again

87dtna

I already told him to make sure the HSF was seated properly awhile back and all the pins were snapped in.

Yes I've run plenty of 775 rigs. Core 2 architecture is not the same as nehalem. Nehalem does not thermal shutdown unless you select the setting in the Bios to do that. Default is thermal throttling.

FuryRosewood

id feel safer with a complete thermal shutdown vs a throttle...thats kinda troublesome...still not sure if anyone has confirmed the case looks good on cable management via pictures? i still really think it comes down to inadequate cooling and heck if the chip is possibly damaged, he has about a year to work on it...warranty periods arent that tight, so midas well try a heatsink fan once, then if that doesnt seem to drop temps considerably, send out for a rma...i think of rma as last resort, im still chasing down my sisters e7400 with ram anger problems...doing it 700 miles away is...difficult

87dtna

I've never had any issues, in fact I even shut off throttling as well. But I have my 2nd screen with real temp up there 24/7. My 2nd screen has real temp, CPUz, msi afterburner, and task manager.

My RMA took 2 weeks. And once again, you are only suggesting bandaids.

FuryRosewood

then why do people buy aftermarket coolers? are those bandaids too? honestly either way he will eventually move to a new cooler, why not pick out one now, if shit goes bad still ok go rma the damn chip...? honestly i really dont like RMAing at all, takes so long to get stuff back and fourth...waited 2 effing weeks for all four sticks of ram to get back, as they went out in one night...

Intel_man

VIP Member
then why do people buy aftermarket coolers? are those bandaids too? honestly either way he will eventually move to a new cooler, why not pick out one now, if shit goes bad still ok go rma the damn chip...? honestly i really dont like RMAing at all, takes so long to get stuff back and fourth...waited 2 effing weeks for all four sticks of ram to get back, as they went out in one night...
Are you serious? People buy aftermarket coolers to OVERCLOCK. It's not a bandaid. What you're suggesting is a bandaid because he should be able to run at cool temps with the stock Intel crappy HSF.

Also, I would not hesitate to RMA my chip if it I have a slight feeling it's not working properly. I'd rather have a properly working chip than a half ass'd chip that I spent $300 on.

FuryRosewood

you guys really woke up on the wrong sides of the bed :) *hands icecubes* chill out... -_- i use an aftermarket cooler to run quieter, not necessary for overclocking, just to run a little cooler and quieter than a bloody small screaming fan

Intel_man

VIP Member
you guys really woke up on the wrong sides of the bed :) *hands icecubes* chill out... -_- i use an aftermarket cooler to run quieter, not necessary for overclocking, just to run a little cooler and quieter than a bloody small screaming fan

My sister's i5 750 runs an OEM fan because she doesn't overclock. It's quiet and cool. You really need to get some facts straighten out.

87dtna

I5's do run cooler than I7's, even with stock clocks....but yeah it still shouldn't be hitting 100c no matter what with the stock cooler at stock clocks. Typically they get up to about 80c max for a C0 and 70-75c for a D0 at stock clocks, so he's running a good 20c over the norm.

mihir

VIP Member
I have decided I will be leaving for Dubai on 9th and will give it for RMA and I will be there for 10 Days so hopefully I get it back by then
@Intel_man You are right Since I spent a good $300 on my chip and $60 on the HSF I would like to squeeze maximum performance of it.

@FuryRosewood The noise from the stock intel fan is is really low so why would you buy a new cooler just to reduce the noice and undervolt the CPU

Intel_man

VIP Member
I have decided I will be leaving for Dubai on 9th and will give it for RMA and I will be there for 10 Days so hopefully I get it back by then
@Intel_man You are right Since I spent a good $300 on my chip and $60 on the HSF I would like to squeeze maximum performance of it.

@FuryRosewood The noise from the stock intel fan is is really low so why would you buy a new cooler just to reduce the noice and undervolt the CPU

Because he's an AMD fanboy trying to take a swing at Intel to make him feel better. DOHOHOHO.

87dtna

This is furyrosewood-

escape_fail21.jpg