i7 Temps worry

87dtna

If you overclock the chip it will void the warranty and you will not be able to RMA it.

haha

I fried my I7 860 with 1.70 Vcore on DICE at 5ghz, the pins were BLACK and they still RMA'd it.

Mihir, sounds like you have a C0 stepping chip, they run hotter. Do you have CPUz? On the right side below the I7 badge there's a ''stepping'' column there, does it say C0 or D0?

mihir

VIP Member
yepp its a C0 I read about it on overclockers.net and they said that the C0 overclock better than the D0 but require more Voltage whereas a some D0s reach 4ghz not all and they do so at a lower voltage but they run cooler compared to the C0s is it true and

PS

Do you think Intel will RMA my chip just because it hit 100C on load stick clocks and cooler

87dtna

D0's typically overclock better too, not sure who you were talking too. All 920's will hit 4ghz without breaking a sweat, no matter if it's C0 or D0. Most D0's can do 4.5-4.6ghz easily on air whereas most C0's require too much voltage to get that high and temps are too high for air cooling.

Yes I think you could RMA it. You can tell them you never overclocked it and only ran the stock cooler, it just has excessive heat. I think they will do it, and hey you may even get a D0 back then. Just go to Intel's website and fill everything out and request an RMA. You'll get an email saying if you qualify or not.

mihir

VIP Member
I read it on an overclocking guide on overclocking .net

3.For the most part, D0s overclock higher and at lower voltages than c0 chips, due to refinements in the fabrication process. Late c0 chips benefitted from the same refinements, and random other batches hit 4.0 ghz at really low volts. I have been told that some d0s do not hit 4.0, but most will do so at a lower voltage than most C0s. A d0 is a more desirable chip, but it's not a must and this guide is still useful to owners of C0s; I have owned both. There are definitely c0s that are better than d0s.

4.The toms article about speed vs power consumption is flawed and based on one really terrible c0 that needed 1.5 vcore to hit 4ghz. Is a d0 at 1.2v at 4 ghz going to consume more power than a c0 at 3.6 and 1.32 volts? No. The d0 will use less. Power consumption at any given voltage will increase about 3-11 watts (avg 5 for every 100 mhz you increase). Something brough to my attention though recently is that this may differ because some chips are leakier than others. A d0 is by no means a guarantee that it will consume less power.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

and does using another TIM void the warranty

and is the above article right

87dtna

Yeah the first sentence is what I was talking about-

For the most part, D0s overclock higher and at lower voltages than c0 chips

If it takes less voltage to get the the same overclock, that means the one taking the less voltage can overclock more....in 99% of cases. I've never heard of an I7 920 that could not hit 4ghz.

I'd personally try to RMA that chip. If you are sure that all the clips snapped in good on the heat sink, different thermal paste on the same stock cooler won't do much. Maybe 1-2c....UNLESS of course like I said if you didn't have the HSF snapped in the whole way. Sometimes those push pins take a good bit of force to get snapped in. Did they are click when you put it in?

No you can try a different TIM, no problem.

mihir

VIP Member
I am pretty sure the cooler was fixed in correctly.Trust me on that.

About the TIM I meant that I have used a different one so would that cause problems in my warranty cover

87dtna

Not at all. Like I said, I've used a DICE pot on my I7 overclocked to 5ghz and it had black burned pin pads on the back and they still RMA'd it dude. Don't worry. When you RMA you only send the CPU, they don't care about the HSF and box. But they will send you an entire new retail boxed unit.

mihir

VIP Member
Ohh man thanks I will definately RMA it and get a cooler chip and If possible will pay a bit extra to get a 930
and hopefully the chip I get back is a D0

87dtna

No no, don't mention anything about upgrading because then they will think thats why you are RMA'ing and they'll deny you. Just complain about the heat and you can mention that you tried replacing the thermal paste in attempt to get the temps down but they were still excessively hot. Even if you get a C0, you may still get the newer revised ones from a different batch that were better overclockers.

mihir

VIP Member
No no, don't mention anything about upgrading because then they will think thats why you are RMA'ing and they'll deny you. Just complain about the heat and you can mention that you tried replacing the thermal paste in attempt to get the temps down but they were still excessively hot. Even if you get a C0, you may still get the newer revised ones from a different batch that were better overclockers.

Ohh Thanks.

But I bought it from Dubai UAE so when I go there then only I will be able to RMA it

mihir

VIP Member
Pune,Maharashtra,India

but bought my computer from Dubai,UAE
and parents live in UAE

but i live in India and study

FuryRosewood

So you're suggesting me not to overclock my old Core 2 Duo that runs at 1.86?

hell jumping from 2.6 to 3.6 is a huge boost in performance for the 920 let alone my old E6300 conroe.

if your having trouble with your games...ok OC, but if hes having no issues with games...WHY? its pointless, i have seen a whole maybe 10 percent performance increase for each 200 mhz i added, which to me isnt a whole hell of alot for adding heat...

also atmospheric pressure can have a big difference on how air can cool devices...which is why there is specifications on things like hard disks for where they can and cant be operated safely...might want to see if the air pressure in your area might be affecting it, and if you can...just add better fans to see if temps fall...i wouldnt bother with a RMA as seeing the thing is a hotter running chip due to its stepping, may just be how it is

one thing you CAN try to see if it helps, try undervolting it. you may be able to back your temps up a little if you undervolt the chip, just do a little by little, testing stability, and if it holds, your golden

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
I spent a lot of money on my PC and I want the best performance of it If I undervolt it is gonna decrease the perfromance right.

And I will RMA it to get a cooler chip and hopefully I get a D0 so that I can overclock easily at low temps and low voltages

FuryRosewood

i havent noticed any performance losses undervolting my 6000+ TL-50 or TL-60... i would say you wont get any performance losses, its just like running a cpu overclocked at the lowest possible voltage, except your running at the stock clock, at lowest possible voltage

sure it may be cooler with D0 stepping but honestly if you can get it to run cooler with the undervolt and nothing gets angry from it, id just hold onto the C0 as it can climb to a higher clockrate, if thats correct?

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Yes the C0s can climb higher clocks according to what I have read but all the i7s can cross 4GHz and I dont want to overclock more than 4GHz and D0 attains the 4GHz mark at low voltages and temperatures compared to the C0s.
And since I am using a C0 i know it runs really hot

FuryRosewood

give a undervolt a shot...i dropped my TL-50s voltage by .1V and the temps dropped drastically, it was quite amazing...went down almost 10C at the top of its loading

funny thing is im running my TL-60 with a little more than 1V i believe...and its stable as a rock, temps range from 40C idle to 70C at full load, which is LESS than the cpu it replaced, which was a 31W rated cpu, the TL-60 is rated at 35W TDP

-also small note, if they find that there is nothing wrong with the chip, they may just send the chip back to you, putting you out time and money at no gain... so eh, would be like me sending out my C2 stepping phenom ii 955 because its not a C3 stepping, and getting my chip right back, i dont think its really worth it...if you really want to run cooler, if you havent changed the factory heatsink fan, do that, simplest and most worth while change you can make...i think a corsair a70 would cool it down, espically if you change the fans, and would possibly be quieter, espically with different fans :D

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

take it slow, small increments, its all trial and error, think of it as overclocking, im sure you have done voltage bumps before, just think of this as the same way, bump down, until it gets unstable, smallest fractions you can at a time, you will be only affecting the vcore value

Last edited: