MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
For some reason, the keep coming in stock on BestBuy around 3am, but are gone by the monring. At $214. The 3870's.

As of now, i still got my order on dell for the MSI.. im going to wait untill about the 7th, if it hasn't shipped by then i might cancel it. $240 after shipping is hard to resist lol.

Edit: you can get a 3870 here, a few people from extreme systems are ordering stuff from this site.

http://www.motherboardpro.com/Sapphire-3870-512MB-ATi-Radeon-p-456.html

Last edited:

paratwa

Only by a few FPS, the 3870 also supports HDMI sound which the 8800gt does not, and it supports DX10.1 and PCI-E 2.0.

People are also saying that AA is better with the 3870 and that everything looks much better compared to the 8800gt

Ramodkk

VIP Member
The 8800GT also supports PCI-E 2.0 if I am not mistaken.

So in other words, the 8800GT wins in terms of FPS while the HD3870 delivers a better picture?

paratwa

Thats what I have read, but I have not seen either card in operation, so I can't say. And your right, the 8800gt does support pcie 2.0

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Haha I knew it! LOL I ordered the 8800GT and I dont regret it since either card (8800GT/HD3870) would perform better than my current 7600GT... :rolleyes:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yeah, they say the 3870 has better color quality, i saw some screen comparisons but i couldn't tell a difference.

As long as i have no problem with Dell and getting this shipped i wont regret it. But if something happens and i have to cancel it, ill probably grab the 3870.

Im like ramdokk, anything is better than this X800 :p

Ramodkk

VIP Member
High 5! Allright!

I remember when I bought the 7600GT a year ago, extreme improvement over onboard GeForce 6150 graphics. But now its time to put her on my dad's comp. I have to say that the 7600GT were amazing...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
High 5! Allright!

I remember when I bought the 7600GT a year ago, extreme improvement over onboard GeForce 6150 graphics. But now its time to put her on my dad's comp. I have to say that the 7600GT were amazing...

+1

About the image issues though, 3870/8800gt, I thought they only pertained to Crysis.. A couple textures were "off", like the water and such. It was a driver issue, not the hardware superiority. Which brings me to my next point, I don't think the hardware of the 3870 is better than that of the 8800 in the image department. It would be driver that would be responsible, and everyone knows that drivers change more often than underwear, so if the 3870 truly does sport a better image, it shouldn't be expected to retain that merit..

The 8800GT also supports PCI-E 2.0 if I am not mistaken.

So in other words, the 8800GT wins in terms of FPS while the HD3870 delivers a better picture?

So does the 3870, FPS isn't everything ;)

I don't get your guy's logic...the 8800GT is clearly better than the HD 3870!

ATI doesn't have image compression problems in games or as I call it "EA Lag". If you ask me this card is just as worthy as the 8800GT.. Once again, FPS is not everything and in this situation FPS is only like ~2-6 lower.

MatrixEVO

Wow, I just looked up my newegg invoice. I've had my 7800GT since 2005. It cost me $304, and it's still running strong today, but it just can't handle the new stuff so well.
I didn't realize I hadn't upgraded my GPU for 2 years, and I'm an avid gamer, so I need something that can handle new games.

gamer30

Does anyone have any new information about the ship dates, or the number of cards there getting at dell for the MSI and XFX versions?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
i got the MSI, my "estimated" ship date was 12/12. The Dell rep said its most likely it will ship way before then that those dates are computer generated. He told me they had the one i ordered in stock, and it MIGHT ship by the 4th. But i'll beleive it when i see it.

Freestylingford

There are several on newegg now but I'd say not for long even the evga version with the 610mhz core is 289. I am just about to hit the pay button but I am not sure if I should just wait they have another version I've never seen for 269. Chaintech I guess an extra 20 bucks is worth the step up.