Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

spirit

Staff member
So the Lenovo ThinkPad L540 turned up today. It's come all the way from Shanghai. Took 8 days to build and 3 to deliver, so that's less than 2 weeks from pressing the order button to having it in my hands which is pretty good.

This laptop is more widely travelled than me! As you can see from my UPS shipping statuses, it's been about halfway across the world.

Spec in my signature.

DSC_9043Yammer_zps4e16dc21.jpg

DSC_9051web_zpse840a040.jpg

DSC_9054-2Yammer_zpsb0e4d05d.jpg

DSC_9056Yammer_zpsc77e3d7e.jpg

I replaced the stock 500GB HDD with a 1TB Seagate SSHD. I'm currently using the recovery drive I made to put the Lenovo Windows 8 onto the SSHD. You can see how easy it is disassemble the laptop and get to the HDD and RAM. This is why I like ThinkPads. :good:

DSC_9058Yammer_zps2207efbf.jpg

I am in the process of writing a full review on this laptop which will be posted on the ThinkPad Forums in due time.

First impressions of this machine are great! Keyboard feels excellent, I like the TrackPoint, I like the 1080p screen. So far, so good! :good:

This is the third ThinkPad I've owned. The other two were older IBM ones made before Lenovo bought them.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice mate :) :good:

I know what you mean about Lenovo,s they are very well built..my Netbook was solid.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Hey Spirit just to let you know that I still did not open my new laptop I got almost 2 months ago.
Seriously lol.Didn't have time to do it.I have work over my head here. :p

PCunicorn

Nice Jason! Though, why would you back up the install that came with the lappy instead of doing a fresh install on the new SSHD? So that way you don't have the crap that came with the original install.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice Jason! Though, why would you back up the install that came with the lappy instead of doing a fresh install on the new SSHD? So that way you don't have the crap that came with the original install.

If its anything like my HP laptop,It was very hard to come across an ISO of Windows 8 OEM..i couldn't just use a regular Windows 8 ISO then use the serial key that was built into the laptops bios..it wouldn't work.

Thankfully i was able to get a hold of a OEM ISO.

spirit

Staff member
I did it so it was still pre-activated by Lenovo and so that I had all of the correct drivers preinstalled - and the Lenovo software which is quite useful (eg the fingerprint stuff and the 'airbag' protection). There wasn't too much bloat at all - just Pokki and Norton and some other stuff which I removed.

Bloatware_zpsa48e83d9.png

It was a fresh install with the recovery media. You can't make recovery DVDs now with Windows 8, so I made a 'recovery USB drive' instead which seems to work well but took a while to restore. I was a little annoyed that the user manual said I needed an 8GB drive and then when I came to do it it said I needed a 16GB drive.

If its anything like my HP laptop,It was very hard to come across an ISO of Windows 8 OEM..i couldn't just use a regular Windows 8 ISO then use the serial key that was built into the laptops bios..it wouldn't work.

Yeah that was also another problem, but I do have a Windows 8 Pro disc I could have used (with a key) or I could have gotten Windows 8.1 Pro from school.

Going to use the Windows Store to upgrade this machine to 8.1 today.

Last edited:

claptonman

That is odd. All the computers I've reimaged with win8 and used the key from the BIOS worked just fine.

salvage-this

The new HPs have this as their new COA sticker. You need to use the OEM CD to install Windows or it won't activate. Key is in the bios, but not visible. Dumb.

FuryRosewood

The new HPs have this as their new COA sticker. You need to use the OEM CD to install Windows or it won't activate. Key is in the bios, but not visible. Dumb.

Yep, and its another shot in the foot for M$ allowing OEMs to do that...makes it a pain to get a machine restaged at work while keeping the licensing key intact...