PS4 or Xbox One?

PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

G80FTW

Show me a console that actually renders that high-quality of an image on a TV, because I guarantee you won't find one. That's computer-generated art you posted, not an actual gameplay screenshot.

Ok. Whatever. I own the game and have beat it twice but what do i know. That is actual in game footage. Not a cgi cutscene, which everything in the game is rendered by the console so yea people need to do some res learch bee spouting bs. If you want you can google more screenshots from the game that look just like that.

And sorry im on my phone and its the worse phone in the world to type with.

Aastii

VIP Member
Hate to break it to you mate, but Lucas is right ;)

The-last-of-us.jpg

The-Last-of-Us-Autosave-Glitch-Freezes-Game-Requires-PS3-Reset-2.jpg

Flat textures on the clothes, hairs are flat textures, not near enough each individually rendered as in your screenshot, jaggies, jaggies everywhere... It is a rendered cutscene.

Also, back at the launch of the PS3 was the 8800GT and Conroe/Kentsfield time. Powerful compared to todays hardware? No, but it can still play games at 30FPS, in fact a lot of games from not too long ago look about the same as Last of Us, just look at CoD4 or MW2, graphics quality of in game is about the same and an 8800GT is maxing at 60FPS, not 30.

Granted, they were more expensive at the time, but everyone has a PC of some kind and back in 2005/2006 there was none of this tablet malarkey, so it really was either PC or laptop + console, so considering you only need one device, one display, one set of peripherals rather than all of those for the PC and then again for the console, the prices really are not too dissimilar, plus consider the prices of the games. £35 for a PC game at launch, £45-£55 for console with consoles only getting as low as around £10, whereas PC games get to single figures, sometimes even just pence... Over 7-8 years and a lot of games later, that is a big price difference ;)

Last edited:

epidemik

Based on everything leading up to the launch, I was pretty set on the PS4. Now that they're out, the reviews of both consoles have been very underwhelming. That led me to realize that I still have a huge PS3 backlog and my PS3 will keep me entertained for at least another year, maybe two. I'll probably start looking at next gen at the start of summer 2015 and at that point, there will have been enough software updates and exclusive titles to determine which console is best tailored to what I want.

Punk

Staff member
Based on everything leading up to the launch, I was pretty set on the PS4. Now that they're out, the reviews of both consoles have been very underwhelming. That led me to realize that I still have a huge PS3 backlog and my PS3 will keep me entertained for at least another year, maybe two. I'll probably start looking at next gen at the start of summer 2015 and at that point, there will have been enough software updates and exclusive titles to determine which console is best tailored to what I want.

That's rational thinking :)

PCunicorn

Ok. Whatever. I own the game and have beat it twice but what do i know. That is actual in game footage. Not a cgi cutscene, which everything in the game is rendered by the console so yea people need to do some res learch bee spouting bs. If you want you can google more screenshots from the game that look just like that.

And sorry im on my phone and its the worse phone in the world to type with.

I have played The Last of Us. Lucas is right, just look at the screenshots Aastii posted.

G80FTW

I have played The Last of Us. Lucas is right, just look at the screenshots Aastii posted.

Haha. Dude i have the game. Iv played through it twice. I never said it looked BETTER than crysis 3 i said it was pretty close. Yes it has its share of low res textures in places, but the majority of them are high resolution. And just look at the poly count on the characters, they look better than the characters rendered in crysis 3. I dont know how you guys dont think those screens dont look amazing for an 8 year console. No 8 year old pc could do that and that was my whole entire point proven.

Also the 8800 was not out in 2005 it was the 7800 that was top end. And no, a 7800GTX in a PC could not do that. Your blind if you think COD MW2 looks remotely as good as the last of us. I cant even believe its being compared to that. Thats almost a joke.

And there no prerendered cutscenes in the last of us. It is all rendered from the console. How do the details on the screen I posted differ from the details seen in the other ones posted? If they are pre-rendered, then I dont even know why they bothered since there is no change in the graphic quality going from a cutscene to gameplay. Iv played through the game, and believe me thats the first thing I analyzed.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

I dont care how many times you beat it through. I half beat it and then got my PC. If you really want to start comparing it to Crysis, we can. The Last of Us looks a little better then Crysis 1. Crysis 2 looks much better. And Crysis 3 absolutley destroys TLoU in terms of graphics quality. All these are playable maxed oout a $750 machine. $350 more than a PS3, yes, but most people can afford it.

Punk

Staff member
maxed oout a $750 machine. $350 more than a PS3, yes, but most people can afford it.

Woow yes I can get 750$ out of my account anytime... Don't worry you'll grow up and have to pay rent, food, gas and bills. You'll see if you can afford it. Price is really important on this, you've almost doubled the price of the PS4, said anyone could afford it just to say a PC can run this game at this res... I can't agree with you.

Okedokey

Woow yes I can get 750$ out of my account anytime... Don't worry you'll grow up and have to pay rent, food, gas and bills. You'll see if you can afford it. Price is really important on this, you've almost doubled the price of the PS4, said anyone could afford it just to say a PC can run this game at this res... I can't agree with you.

There is absolutely no doubt that PC graphics destroy consoles, always have, always will. Even today, the PS4 is not going to play 90+FPS at 5760x1080 BF4 ULTRA. Never will. But PCs will today. My point being, is that yes, that consoles are PCs, just slow and mediocre ones. That is fine if that is all you want. The rest of the discussions is just dumb.

Aastii

VIP Member
Haha. Dude i have the game. Iv played through it twice. I never said it looked BETTER than crysis 3 i said it was pretty close. Yes it has its share of low res textures in places, but the majority of them are high resolution. And just look at the poly count on the characters, they look better than the characters rendered in crysis 3. I dont know how you guys dont think those screens dont look amazing for an 8 year console. No 8 year old pc could do that and that was my whole entire point proven.

Also the 8800 was not out in 2005 it was the 7800 that was top end. And no, a 7800GTX in a PC could not do that. Your blind if you think COD MW2 looks remotely as good as the last of us. I cant even believe its being compared to that. Thats almost a joke.

And there no prerendered cutscenes in the last of us. It is all rendered from the console. How do the details on the screen I posted differ from the details seen in the other ones posted? If they are pre-rendered, then I dont even know why they bothered since there is no change in the graphic quality going from a cutscene to gameplay. Iv played through the game, and believe me thats the first thing I analyzed.

The PS3 was not out in 2005 either ;) Just like the GeForce 8 series, it was out in 2006/2007, depending on where you are in the world. You also seem to be mistaking a 7800 for the top card in the 7 series, forgetting completely about the 7950.

Nobody said that you said it was better than Crysis either, nor did anyone say that it looked bad for a 7 year old console (not 8), the fact of the matter is that there is a huge difference between the shot you put and the in game. The hair is less detailed, the clothes less detailed, the faces less detailed, there are more jaggies, I don't know how you cannot see that.

A 7 year old system (Q6600, 8800GT, 4GB DDR2) would play games like that no problem at 30 FPS and more, just go and look at Crysis 1 as an example, an 8800GT, or if you want to be more pedantic about release dates, an 8800GTS, would run Crysis no problem at medium-high settings, which is as good or better than the graphics in The Last of Us.

You are not the only person on this planet that has played any of these games, so you can carry on repeating over and over that you have played the games, it gives you no more authority on the matter than anyone else because guess what, I have too and so have a lot of others, and even if they had not, videos are readily available to people to see for themselves. When everyone else that has played the game is then saying it is not all that graphically and you are the only one saying it is, does that not make you question whether you are right or wrong?

The problem that we have is lazy developers. We have so much more grunt now on PC's compared to relatively ancient hardware that is in the previous gen consoles that developers do not need to optimize code when porting over, they can keep it sloppy and inefficient and we can still max it out. If they put any modicum of time and effort into porting it over, people could very easily sit on their systems from 7 years ago and wouldn't have to upgrade as often.

With regards to price, PC gaming is cheaper, just not with the initial investment. You start off out of pocket but once you factor in the price difference in games and the fact that you are offsetting some of that cost by only needing one PC to game and use as a PC, instead of two, a PC for a PC and a console for games, the prices start to swing in favour of computers rather than consoles.

As Punk said though, people cannot just fork out nearly double the price as and when, you have to plan large investments like that unless you are fortunate enough to be rolling in it, so that large initial sum could very easily be a deal breaker

Punk

Staff member
There is absolutely no doubt that PC graphics destroy consoles, always have, always will. Even today, the PS4 is not going to play 90+FPS at 5760x1080 BF4 ULTRA. Never will. But PCs will today. My point being, is that yes, that consoles are PCs, just slow and mediocre ones. That is fine if that is all you want. The rest of the discussions is just dumb.

Ok I'll say the same thing in another way for you to see how dumb our argument is (yeah I can say that too...):

"There is absolutely no doubt that Ferrari speed destroy 4*4 Jeep, always have, always will. Even today, the new Jeep is not going to go at 250 KM/H. Never will. But Ferraris will today. My point being, is that yes, that 4*4 are cars, just slow and mediocre ones. That is fine if that is all you want. The rest of the discussions is just dumb."

PS: I didn't add the price difference...

PS2: Yeah and you clearly didn't understand my previous post.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I've noticed you've taken your machine as an example, may I remind you much it cost you?

Ok so updated build idea:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard - $539 http://www.mwave.com.au/product/asus...rboard-ab49641
Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core LGA 2011 3.6GHz CPU Processor - $335 - http://www.mwave.com.au/product/inte...cessor-ab49607
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB - $1740 - http://www.mwave.com.au/product/giga...o-card-ab49544
Alphacool NexXxoS XP3 Light - Black Chrome Edition - $95 - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=23506
2 x Bitspower G1/4 Black Sparkle Compression Fitting CC5 - $18 - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=23099
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - $255 - http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sams...d256bw-ab47465

$2982

PS4? Over 400$. Do you see how this comparison can't be made?

Okedokey

I've noticed you've taken your machine as an example, may I remind you much it cost you?

Who anywhere in this thread stated a budget. Your analogy is dumb, as you're comparing different vehicles, built for different uses. A games console is for games, and a games pc is also for games.

My actual point is this. Stop talking about PS4 this, or Xbox that.... they're are PCs. That is that. They play the same games, run the same hardware, and the same instruction set.

Get over it. The PS4 and Xbox 1 will be good value for money for 6 months. After that it will be a pOS>

Which are you getting and why?

still undecided....

To answer the OPs questions....

Neither... they're both PCs, both underpowered for gaming at anything that a 'Computer Hardware' forum member would desire and both will become outdated very very quickly.

Again, false logic.

Most people ALREADY OWN A PC OF SOME DESCRIPTION!

Add $400 to that machine ($300 GPU and a PSU plus an SSD) and you have a much much much faster gaming machine, for the same money.

That is the point.

Just so im clear

Instead of getting a PS4, or Xbox,

spend your $500 dollars or so on your existing PC, and you'll have a much much faster system, upgradable, and it will do a lot more.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
My thoughts exactly. It's entertaining to read though.

It's getting kind of annoying though, especially for people that just want to talk about these two products.
Okedokey can't seem to grasp that while these machines may be like PC's, they are still their own product and this thread is about them specifically.

They play the same games

Oh. And this is just plain wrong. What are attractive about game consoles is the exclusives you won't find on PC.

Geoff

VIP Member
Get over it. The PS4 and Xbox 1 will be good value for money for 6 months. After that it will be a pOS>
Just so im clear

spend your $500 dollars or so on your existing PC, and you'll have a much much faster system, upgradable, and it will do a lot more.
You are so wrong.

How will the Xbox One or PS4 be a POS after 6 months? What happens in 6 months? Games continue to come out for for 5-10 years, and paying $400-$500 once every 5-10 yeas is pennies compared to what it would cost to keep upgrading your computer to play the new games every year.

You can spend that $500 on PC parts which will be fine a couple years, but after 2-3 years it's not going to be able to play the new games, either because it can't handle it or for instance it won't support the newer DirectX versions.

Okedokey

It's getting kind of annoying though, especially for people that just want to talk about these two products.
Okedokey can't seem to grasp that while these machines may be like PC's, they are still their own product and this thread is about them specifically.

Oh. And this is just plain wrong. What are attractive about game consoles is the exclusives you won't find on PC.

Which ones? As shown here its different this time around, as I have said many times over... THEY"RE PCS! http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/14/5102892/where-next-gen-stands

Its fine, though you want to talk about two products? The first series of responses on a COMPUTER FORUM were people saying a PC is better. And yeah I get your point, but it was more valid 10 years ago, not now. Geezuz, they're standard PC hardware with a sticker on it.

Get either, they're bot the same essentially and they both will suck very quickly.

Okedokey

You are so wrong.

How will the Xbox One or PS4 be a POS after 6 months? What happens in 6 months? Games continue to come out for for 5-10 years, and paying $400-$500 once every 5-10 yeas is pennies compared to what it would cost to keep upgrading your computer to play the new games every year.

You can spend that $500 on PC parts which will be fine a couple years, but after 2-3 years it's not going to be able to play the new games, either because it can't handle it or for instance it won't support the newer DirectX versions.

Lol omg.

Ok...

Well add the compulsory online fee, the initial capital outlay, the inability to upgrade and you have a lemon.

The directx thing is just silly, as it simply proves the point that xbox, (which will be using directx) has the same limitations....

Punk

Staff member
Who anywhere in this thread stated a budget. Your analogy is dumb, as you're comparing different vehicles, built for different uses. A games console is for games, and a games pc is also for games.

My actual point is this. Stop talking about PS4 this, or Xbox that.... they're are PCs. That is that. They play the same games, run the same hardware, and the same instruction set.

To answer the OPs questions....

Neither... they're both PCs, both underpowered for gaming at anything that a 'Computer Hardware' forum member would desire and both will become outdated very very quickly.

Again, false logic.

Most people ALREADY OWN A PC OF SOME DESCRIPTION!

Add $400 to that machine ($300 GPU and a PSU plus an SSD) and you have a much much much faster gaming machine, for the same money.

That is the point.

Just so im clear

When comparing to objects, especially video games, budget IS important. You won't get the same result on a 3000$ and a 500$ computer.

And yes you got one thing: Different cars for different use. Oh wait, consoles are for gaming, and PC for a general use. Wait wait wait... Different use?

Yes you can build a gaming PC that will run games better than any consoles, but you've doubled the budget (or even tripled it) you are going to spend.