Radeon 5970 HD

joh06937

oh yeah, click on settings, and under general select "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring". either one is fine.

Joshua1187

ok i checked them both, the voltage is at 1049, should it be 1150? also AUTO FAN is still greyd out, cant change it.

joh06937

ok i checked them both, the voltage is at 1049, should it be 1150? also AUTO FAN is still greyd out, cant change it.

yeah there is another option for the auto somewhere. don't worry about it ;) yep the voltage should be at 1150. after clicking apply, run furmark and monitor temps. if they go above around 85 or so, then you might need to change the fan to a higher setting. it shouldn't crash but that is a possibility so don't panic if it happens ;) all will be ok. you'll just have to reboot and up the voltage a tad.

Joshua1187

ok, hit save, GPU is going up, currently at 50C from somwhere around 37-40C

UPdate: 55C now :/, FYI im not running any games or anything.

Last edited:

Joshua1187

thats the thing, im not even running that program, also i dont know what an artifact is!

What should i be running? Stability test or benchmark? what heat should i stop the test at? (Currently 58C)

joh06937

since the fan is on auto, it'll let the temps get higher than idle temps because it keeps the fan at only 30% for a while (until the temps get high enough, at which point it'll go up and help with the temps).

just watch and see if you see spots or weird pixels. basically any visual errors.

Joshua1187

Ok i did that, it looked fine but the heat got up to 88C the fan was only at like 48% isnt 88 a little high? I thought anythign close to 90C was bad, no?

joh06937

Ok i did that, it looked fine but the heat got up to 88C the fan was only at like 48% isnt 88 a little high? I thought anythign close to 90C was bad, no?

the 5970 can handle it but i wouldn't recommend it. go into ccc and (enable the fan control first) set the fan to something like 60%-75%.

joh06937

ok so lets say this works, how should this be managed on a daily basis?XD

i would only have the stock clocks when using the desktop and doing non-tasking things. but when you want to play a game, turn the settings to the oc'ed ones. with msi afterburner, you can set profiles with shortcut keys to make life easier ;) i have mine setup so that i can hit ctrl+alt+# for an overclock.

Joshua1187

Turned that fan up to 70% and then shortly after computer froze.

I have the setting saved, FURMARK looked great, just... the computer froze. perhaps i should turn it down a bit? are these standard settings for the 5870 or somthing?

joh06937

Turned that fan up to 70% and then shortly after computer froze.

I have the setting saved, FURMARK looked great, just... the computer froze. perhaps i should turn it down a bit? are these standard settings for the 5870 or somthing?

try putting the voltage at 1200. what temps did you get?

also, what psu do you have?