Shin Etsu X23-7783D

ScottALot

Hee hee, I haven't been on anything... unless Tylenol and Ester-C count. The picture is supposed to represent how the "... something cold" could mean many different things.

ScottALot

OMIGOD!!!

I just got the SE and wanted to see if it really was as good as Bomber said... and get this...

FROM A 39C AVERAGE to 34C AVERAGE BEFORE burn-in time! (idle)

EDIT: Whoa, this stuff really rides those temperature spikes... now it averages about 37C and sometimes goes to 41C on idle? What's the best way to apply this stuff? I used four corners (1/2 bb size) because I looked at the imprint of the last coat and it was all on one side.

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

OMIGOD!!!

I just got the SE and wanted to see if it really was as good as Bomber said... and get this...

EDIT: Whoa, this stuff really rides those temperature spikes... now it averages about 37C and sometimes goes to 41C on idle? What's the best way to apply this stuff? I used four corners (1/2 bb size) because I looked at the imprint of the last coat and it was all on one side.

That stuff is said not to need a "burn in" time.

Use one small grain sized blob in the center of CPU and apply the heat sink.

bomberboysk

That stuff is said not to need a "burn in" time.

Use one small grain sized blob in the center of CPU and apply the heat sink.
It doesnt have a burn in time moreso than a few days to fully flow into the microscopic valleys and ridges of the thermal contact areas.
OMIGOD!!!

But about a BB to Pea sized drop in the center. Especially with the HDT coolers like that xigmatek you have youll want closer to the size of a dry pea.

BTW, im not exxagerating by any means about it, heck, i dont make a heck of alot of money from it(around $1-2 per gram), but i like to get it out into more hands because its such great stuff.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Oh, I thought four corners would be good. Okay, I'll try it again, I got plenty of rubbing alcohol ;)
after you think its clean, take a paper towel, totally moisten it in alcohol, fold it over so its roughly the size of the heatsink base, and press on it to press alcohol onto the heatsink, then take a few dry paper towels and wipe it down(to get the stuff out of the ridges between the heatpipes, if you use cotton swabs there it tends to get cotton strands stuck there.

ScottALot

Funny, I actually did that when switching from AS5 to SE ... without someone telling me to. I'm feeling smarter, yaaaaay.

And early congrats on 8K posts.

bomberboysk

Never heard of that one. Especially when cores are in the center of the socket.
I would think that would leave an air pocket in the center, with TIM dripping out the corners.
Yeah, that would cause irregular spreading an an air pocket, actually any method that has more than one source of TIM can cause an air pocket(eg, 2 lines, X pattern, etc). Once you apply it, burn it in under prime95 or linX for about half an hour to really get it warm and flowing(but dont go overheating your processor).

bomberboysk

Hey bomberboysk---how long does one gram last? One application?
Each syringe(1 gram) lasts me approx 5 applications,however i run a lapped waterblock and lapped cpu so less TIM is required, it really depends upon surface finish of heatsink, etc(eg- a HDT cooler would probably last 2-3 uses per syringe, a non lapped heatsink and cpu probably 3-4 uses using the pressure spread method).

Last edited:

ScottALot

Okay, I reapplied and it's getting 39 average now. Thank you! This stuff is going to work wonders on my GPU waterblock :)