Which do you like better: 360, PS3, Wii

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 89 33.2%
  • Wii

Votes: 62 23.1%

• Total voters

Marzeth

PS3 has great support from unbought 3rd party developers, over and above what the Wii and 360 have.
Furthermore, they have great console specific launch titles that the 360 did not have at launch and they have great console specific upcoming titles as well.
Everyone's crying about the cable... we'll kids, we'll se how much of a difference that is when the HD-DVD Drive comes out for you 360ers. Thank God we don't have to pay for that since it comes in the box.
...which also means that PS3 will be a slick next gen console. Unlike the 360 which is huge already with the AC adapter, you guys have to find a spot in your living room for a HD-DVD Drive as well. I'm so sorry for you people.
Let's just say... I don't envy you.

tlarkin

VIP Member
blu ray will fail just like beta max and mini disk, sony has a nitch for that kind of thing.

The wii's dev kit costs just over $1,000, so it will open up the market for a lot of developers since their dev kit is so cheap. Meaning the games will be cheaper, and more people will buy them. Plus it is completely backwards compatable with game cube, and plays SNES, N64, NES, Turbo Graphix 16, and Sega Genesis games.

I think Nintendo is doing the smart thing right now. HD TV is not widely available yet to every region in the US, not to mention not everyone has it in their homes. Only a small percentage do.

remember when the saturn came out? It was the first next gen cd console, with internet capabilities, fast and smooth FPS, realistic like graphics, etc. It failed because the market wasn't ready for it. It was the first of its kind and not everyone had broadband internet so a lot of its features were only availbe to a few people.

Geoff

VIP Member
PS3 has great support from unbought 3rd party developers, over and above what the Wii and 360 have.
Furthermore, they have great console specific launch titles that the 360 did not have at launch and they have great console specific upcoming titles as well.
Everyone's crying about the cable... we'll kids, we'll se how much of a difference that is when the HD-DVD Drive comes out for you 360ers. Thank God we don't have to pay for that since it comes in the box.
...which also means that PS3 will be a slick next gen console. Unlike the 360 which is huge already with the AC adapter, you guys have to find a spot in your living room for a HD-DVD Drive as well. I'm so sorry for you people.

You do know that the majority of the price tag on the PS3 is just the Blu-Ray drive, right? And it costs about $100 to get an HDMI cable.

bigsaucybob

Haha, your funny. I would rather have to find room in my living room for an Xbox 360 and an HD-DVD drive (omg its so hard help me help me) then spend $600 on a PS3 and 80-100 on a cable.

Powman

I remember the day when we didn't need giant power cords and needs for ventilation. I'm fine with my good old SNES, just pop the game in. No memory cards, no hard drives. Good old fashoined gaming.

Although, I am waiting for the PS3 to kick the crap out of 360, despite it's price tag.

bigsaucybob

I saw on the news sony is dropping the PS3 price to 410$. What version idk, prolly the cheapest one obviously.

This is true, but its actually $430. Then you have to buy HD cables and thats back to $500, so its practically pointless.

Xbox is releasing the HD-DVD drive for $170 in Japan. This will certainly put up a fight, considering it will be cheaper than a Blu-Ray PS3 and it will be 1080p.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I'll just touch slightly on the Blue-ray subject. For those that mention PS3 comes HD ready. Well do we really know what will be the HD standard in the future? It could be the difference of buying beta over a VHS ;). We seriously are not sure and blue ray could be Sony's UMD. Blue Ray is also responsible in helping to drive up the price of the PS3. I'd certainly not let Blue ray be my deciding factor.

Now on the subject of consoles in general. I'm buying the Wii all the way. I'm a PC gamer on a budget and would rather pump those dollars into my PC (an everything machine) "BUT" if I where rich I'd buy an Xbox360 today. Anyhow the Wii "should" be allot of fun and I've always loved games like Zelda, Mario bros. I actually just got a gamecube about 4 months ago because I needed a Zelda and Mario fix :p. I bought a PS2 a few years ago and played like 4 games and then stuck it in the closet... I have since pulled it out to play some more Grand Turismo 4 (awesome game!) and I might let it stay out for awhile. *Blue goes off a little bit* by the way how many people here knows that Grand Turismo 4 has a 1080i mode? I've tried this after the purchase of some RGB Cables and it looks considerably better... Not sure how they did it but certainly it cannot be "true" 1080i, could it? I just don't know.

Either way you slice it... All the console games have something over the other and that goes especially for the Wii (which is considerably weaker graphically). They will all be great and the luckiest of gamers will own them all ;).

Last edited:

Burgerbob

I dont really think that any of these consoles should be against each other, as they each fill a different niche. The Wii is the poor man's console, the 360 is the middle class gamer/ entertainment console, and the PS3 is the hard core rich person's gaming console.

Yasu

I dont really think that any of these consoles should be against each other, as they each fill a different niche. The Wii is the poor man's console, the 360 is the middle class gamer/ entertainment console, and the PS3 is the hard core rich person's gaming console.
So someone who owns all 3 is a poor, middle-class, rich person?

Marzeth

Just my thoughts...

blu ray will fail just like beta max and mini disk, sony has a nitch for that kind of thing.

The wii's dev kit costs just over $1,000, so it will open up the market for a lot of developers since their dev kit is so cheap. Meaning the games will be cheaper, and more people will buy them. Plus it is completely backwards compatable with game cube, and plays SNES, N64, NES, Turbo Graphix 16, and Sega Genesis games.

I think Nintendo is doing the smart thing right now. HD TV is not widely available yet to every region in the US, not to mention not everyone has it in their homes. Only a small percentage do.

remember when the saturn came out? It was the first next gen cd console, with internet capabilities, fast and smooth FPS, realistic like graphics, etc. It failed because the market wasn't ready for it. It was the first of its kind and not everyone had broadband internet so a lot of its features were only availbe to a few people.

In regards to the dev Kits, of course they are cheap and of course the games will be. But you'll never see something like Resistance or Gears of War coming out of the Wii, that will surely guarantee you that!
The backwards compatibility, everyone has it and everyone can have it nowadays, including the 360 as long as they close deals with whom they have to.
Sony has failed several times with new formats, and that is something that worries me, but in this case I feel comfortable with the fact that size will matter in the near future, specially when we are speaking of 1080i or 1080p data which is huge and will soon be maxed out. If you think about it, you will need a dual layer HD-DVD to reach the capacity of a single layer BD-DVD once content ramps up, and at some point one or the other media will be left hanging in the dark. Does anyone still use a ZIP drive at home or work? And as proof of excessive content, have a read of "Would it have been possible to create Resistance on anything but the PlayStation 3, like the PS2, Xbox 360 or PC, and if not, why?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p4.html and read "Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html
When the Saturn came out it was WAY ahead of its time with everything it offered. The only thing PS3 has ahead of its time is HD, because all else, most homes carry.

[-0MEGA-];437769 said:
You do know that the majority of the price tag on the PS3 is just the Blu-Ray drive, right? And it costs about $100 to get an HDMI cable.

Yep. I know. Same reason for the delay. But I truly believe it's the future of storage. And when I compare the HDMI cable issue to the 360, whoever got the cable with the box is useless, until you dash out $170 dollars to get the HD-DVD Drive. So, it really doesn't stun me in regards to price, specially since the 360's value is the expected value of the technology it holds inside as the PS3's value is related to its technology.

Haha, your funny. I would rather have to find room in my living room for an Xbox 360 and an HD-DVD drive (omg its so hard help me help me) then spend $600 on a PS3 and 80-100 on a cable.

No disrespect saucy, but I have a slick modern/flowing looking living room and I do worry about the way I cram things around my living room. But that's just freaky me.

This is true, but its actually $430. Then you have to buy HD cables and thats back to $500, so its practically pointless.

Xbox is releasing the HD-DVD drive for $170 in Japan. This will certainly put up a fight, considering it will be cheaper than a Blu-Ray PS3 and it will be 1080p.

I'm sorry to break this to you. But The XBox360 will never be true 1080p since it is just a compatibility feature since the real issue all comes back to... (drumroll) ...storage. Please read http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734001p1.html and let me know what you think.

I'll just touch slightly on the Blue-ray subject. For those that mention PS3 comes HD ready. Well do we really know what will be the HD standard in the future? It could be the difference of buying beta over a VHS ;). We seriously are not sure and blue ray could be Sony's UMD. Blue Ray is also responsible in helping to drive up the price of the PS3. I'd certainly not let Blue ray be my deciding factor.

Now on the subject of consoles in general. I'm buying the Wii all the way. I'm a PC gamer on a budget and would rather pump those dollars into my PC (an everything machine) "BUT" if I where rich I'd buy an Xbox360 today. Anyhow the Wii "should" be allot of fun and I've always loved games like Zelda, Mario bros. I actually just got a gamecube about 4 months ago because I needed a Zelda and Mario fix :p. I bought a PS2 a few years ago and played like 4 games and then stuck it in the closet... I have since pulled it out to play some more Grand Turismo 4 (awesome game!) and I might let it stay out for awhile. *Blue goes off a little bit* by the way how many people here knows that Grand Turismo 4 has a 1080i mode? I've tried this after the purchase of some RGB Cables and it looks considerably better... Not sure how they did it but certainly it cannot be "true" 1080i, could it? I just don't know.

Either way you slice it... All the console games have something over the other and that goes especially for the Wii (which is considerably weaker graphically). They will all be great and the luckiest of gamers will own them all ;).

Blue Ray is in part a deciding factor given that it'll be the cheapest BD-DVD Player on earth, but most importantly because of it's free online environment and the fact that PSs 1st and 3rd party exclusive games were, are and will forever be awesome. And by the time we've reached our storage limit playing video games that are inmmense in every way, 360ers will be forever stuck with their 30GB games unless they buy a XBox360 BD-DVD Drive add-on.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Blue Ray is in part a deciding factor given that it'll be the cheapest BD-DVD Player on earth, but most importantly because of it's free online environment and the fact that PSs 1st and 3rd party exclusive games were, are and will forever be awesome. And by the time we've reached our storage limit playing video games that are inmmense in every way, 360ers will be forever stuck with their 30GB games unless they buy a XBox360 BD-DVD Drive add-on.

If you look at games of today and the storage they are on, do you think the entire disk of either HD DVD or Blue ray will be maxed anytime soon? I doubt it. However I refused to delve to deep in the blue ray VS HD DVD debate because it is silly. One day there will be just 1 format as usual and no one here can say which that will be. For some reason though my senses are telling me that will be HD DVD.

bigsaucybob

I'm sorry to break this to you. But The XBox360 will never be true 1080p since it is just a compatibility feature since the real issue all comes back to... (drumroll) ...storage. Please read http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734001p1.html and let me know what you think.

Yes, Microsoft does need to do a serious hardware update to allow for true 1080p. But I still dont want to go spend $600 for the PS3 when I have to buy HD cables and I wont be able to rent games. I am a huge fan of renting games.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Smart move by Sony, they realised that if people don't buy the system, it doesn't matter what price the games are, or what the actual games are. Now if we can just get them to let go of that stupid "no renting" crap...

*Offtopic*: They are rather obsessed with the whole piracy thing..., anyone remember what they got themselves into with their music label last year?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yes, Microsoft does need to do a serious hardware update to allow for true 1080p. But I still dont want to go spend $600 for the PS3 when I have to buy HD cables and I wont be able to rent games. I am a huge fan of renting games.

Not entirely sure there. I've heard that there will be a free software update comeing along for 1080p support. They have the HD-DVD addon coming out soon.

Edit:

K, well I read that article http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734001p1.html. Maybe I'm just blowing air but... I think games are amazing now with far less storage space. I'm not entirely convinced that 50gb's is necessary. I wonder where the future of gaming is heading when so many people worry about the appearance of a game over it's game play. There are so many great looking pile of crap games out there. I'm seriously having a hard time finding decent games to play that are not FPS (which is getting old also).

Edit again:

That article also states that Microsofts 1080p patch is just a compatibility feature... compatible with what? perhaps it was just a poor choice of words on their part?

Last edited:

bigsaucybob

I am not really positive about how Microsoft plans on handling this.

I am an Xbox fanboy and all but Microsoft does need to have some sort of hardware update. I was reading that since Xbox mainly offers component output, most 1080p TV's dont offer the 1080p through component. Only HDMI and VGA. Now the 360 does have a VGA cable but not default with the Premium Package.

Marzeth

The True HD and True Price

If you look at games of today and the storage they are on, do you think the entire disk of either HD DVD or Blue ray will be maxed anytime soon? I doubt it. However I refused to delve to deep in the blue ray VS HD DVD debate because it is silly. One day there will be just 1 format as usual and no one here can say which that will be. For some reason though my senses are telling me that will be HD DVD.

First off, I don't think you took your time to read the links I left above. Please do so now, have a read of:
1. "Would it have been possible to create Resistance on anything but the PlayStation 3, like the PS2, Xbox 360 or PC, and if not, why?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p4.html
2. "Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html
Also, in the year 2004 (or 2003, can't remember) I got a copy of UT2004 in CDs. To be exact, a copy of UT2004 in 6 CDs, and the total installed files ammount to a whoping 5.19GB. Now that was back then, we are approaching 2007 and graphics have advanced much further than UT2004.
I hope you can now see where I'm going with this and what the articles state.

About the rent. Bud that is just specullation. No one's confirmed that and Sony wouldn't be that dumb. So scrap saying anything about it, unless someone has a reference link from a trusting source that hasconfirmed this.

If you give it a good thought, there's not much of a difference between the systems. Specially if you try to get the 360 to PS3 standards. It would go something like this: $400.00 (XBox360 Pro) + $170.00 (HD-DVD) + $50.00 Annual Fee (XBox Live) + $100.00 Wireless Ethernet + $80.00 (20GB HDD) + $80.00 (20GB HDD) = $880.00 (PS3 look-a-like)
OK! OK! For those of you who say, "but why would I do something stupid like buy extra HDDs or get the wireless thing-a-mabob", you would go to a total of $620.00.
And Then! For those of you saying, "that's all so dumb, i just want the freaking XBox360 to play some games"... well... you got ripped off $400.00, you'll never have true HD games, never see HD-DVD movies and believe me, if they say you can download music and videos... man, you're going to run out of space quick!

I go for value, and the 360 looked like value, but if you crunch up the technology that's pitted against it, it's a rip-off. Especially since you now have to buy all these add-ons that still don't bring the 360 closer to the PS3. At least Sony is being straight up about the costs and giving it to us once, unlike Microsoft, that has decided to treat console buyers like their Windows environment: Staying alive and up-to-date through a long series of updates and upgrades.

An there ladies and gentlemen, lie my two cents.

Last edited: