Which do you like better: 360, PS3, Wii

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 89 33.2%
  • Wii

Votes: 62 23.1%

• Total voters

bigsaucybob

If you give it a good thought, there's not much of a difference between the systems. Specially if you try to get the 360 to PS3 standards. It would go something like this: $400.00 (XBox360 Pro) + $170.00 (HD-DVD) + $50.00 Annual Fee (XBox Live) + $100.00 Wireless Ethernet + $80.00 (20GB HDD) + $80.00 (20GB HDD) = $880.00 (PS3 look-a-like)
OK! OK! For those of you who say, "but why would I do something stupid like buy extra HDDs or get the wireless thing-a-mabob", you would go to a total of $620.00.
And Then! For those of you saying, "that's all so dumb, i just want the freaking XBox360 to play some games"... well... you got ripped off $400.00, you'll never have true HD games, never see HD-DVD movies and believe me, if they say you can download music and videos... man, you're going to run out of space quick!

I go for value, and the 360 looked like value, but if you crunch up the technology that's pitted against it, it's a rip-off. Especially since you now have to buy all these add-ons that still don't bring the 360 closer to the PS3. At least Sony is being straight up about the costs and giving it to us once, unlike Microsoft, that has decided to treat console buyers like their Windows environment: Staying alive and up-to-date through a long series of updates and upgrades.

An there ladies and gentlemen, lie my two cents.

Thats cool and all, but I dont need wireless internet. Many people dont. I dont need 40GB of space. And a lot of people dont.

I LOVE having my Xbox 360 connect seamlessly with my Windows PC. I have so many reasons why I dont want a PS3 and I am sure many others do too.

Marzeth

Great saucy! That is great! I am truly happy for you (and I'm not being funny when I say that bud!) I respect that. You see, I know I will feel very happy when I get my PS3 as well, so I understand your feeling. The same feeling I had when I first turned on my PS2 for the very first time.
My issue in this whole enchilada is with the people that have got to stop crying about the money. The money is in the technology and the greater outcome that will erupt from this technology. Period.

bigsaucybob

Great saucy! That is great! I am truly happy for you (and I'm not being funny when I say that bud!) I respect that. You see, I know I will feel very happy when I get my PS3 as well, so I understand your feeling. The same feeling I had when I first turned on my PS2 for the very first time.
My issue in this whole enchilada is with the people that have got to stop crying about the money. The money is in the technology and the greater outcome that will erupt from this technology. Period.

Well alright. I understand that each console offers us what we want. But out of no disrespect, you dont know that you will feel very happy when you get your PS3. It has not been released yet, I personally have played my Xbox 360 and can experience the fun. I have no doubt the PS3 will be great but until we actually get our hands on it, I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
First off, I don't think you took your time to read the links I left above. Please do so now, have a read of:
1. "Would it have been possible to create Resistance on anything but the PlayStation 3, like the PS2, Xbox 360 or PC, and if not, why?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p4.html
2. "Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html
Also, in the year 2004 (or 2003, can't remember) I got a copy of UT2004 in CDs. To be exact, a copy of UT2004 in 6 CDs, and the total installed files ammount to a whoping 5.19GB. Now that was back then, we are approaching 2007 and graphics have advanced much further than UT2004.
I hope you can now see where I'm going with this and what the articles state.

No I did not read those links... Yes I'll that now. If you notice however when I talk it's personal opinion and speculation. It's why I don't put much emphasis behind it ;). It's very much light hearted conversation. However many take these Console wars a bit too seriously, so I'll read those links and next time If I decide to input my 2 cents, I'll remember that no one here is interesting in peoples thoughts but hard facts found in articles on the web.

I'll comment on the UT2004 comment though. Today you can purchase a game like Prey (much advanced over UT2004) and it comes on a single DVD. An HD-DVD is several DVD's. It's just my "personal" thoughts (and I know how many don't like that).

Now Blue ray may (or may not) be the best choice for a gaming console. I would not let that be the deciding factor because it makes a great HD movie player. How do I know that blue ray is going to be the platform of choice 2 years from now? do you know something? Also if you look around the internet not everyone is happy about the huge price tag on Sony products lately. Sony has struggled this time around to get their console out the door. They owe their fan base at least a decent price point for gods sake.

Anyway I'll read those links and this will be the last I inject any "opinion" that is based on "personal" thoughts and idea's. But rather stick to the facts that is printed in articles which I find and which are pointed out to me. Thank you.

Edit:

Just wanted to mention. How many people do you think will own 1080p capable TV's within the next few years? Most semi expensive TV's on the market now are only capable of 1080i. A 1080p TV of any decent size is dam expensive! How many Xbox 360 players do you think are using their old TV with AVI inputs? I bet you over half. It is sad but it is true. People are going to pay a ton for the PS3 and will never see it in 1080p... It's sad but it is true. You can call it "crying" if you like but many people want affordable devices. Especially when it's parents buying for their children. It is sad but it's true :).

Last edited:

Marzeth

True saucy. I could feel very dissapointed once I turn it on, it crashes, freezes, and have to wait for repairs. We don't know. It is jus speculation and interest on a brand that has previously done good for gamers.

Blue man. In the world you can always have your opinion and don't let anyone beat you to it, but make sure it's got a little base because that automatically makes someone's take stronger. By the way, I'm not sure if Prey is 1080i or 1080p, if it was it should require more storage, but once again I'm not sure. Just a thought.
Very good comment about the 1080p capable TVs though. I'll be playing on my 720i TV before I get my 1080p, but I bring the HD issue up for the ones that are really concerned over this and mention it all the time, because to me, it's only the games and a system that works that matter.
It is sad, but it is true. It's an expensive system. But then again, it is above the bar set by all other next-gen consoles, being the reason why. And as I mentioned above, the PS3 comes in one blow, instead of in pieces like the 360 came to purchasers.

bigsaucybob

I just learned that the 20% cut in PS3 price only applies to Japan. The price cut has not been announced for the US yet.

Also games will go for around $75-$80, thats ridiculous. As we have known but I did not know was confirmed, PS3's will not ship with an HDMI cable.

This is quite a blow considering it would have been nice to be able to pick up a PS3 as well as my Xbox 360.

Marzeth

See what I mean everyone!?
There we go with the HDMI Cable issue again, people still don't get it.
In regards to the games and system price, yes it is high, but let me say... What a System and what a Player!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I will say one thing on the price again. I understand what Marzeth is saying... The price warrants the technology (it is true). I only wonder if that is going to hurt Sony. It only stands to reason that the less expense the easily something is accepted. A machine that cost that much is going to be bought mostly by adult gamers (There are also spoiled rich kids). Sony is trying to win the performance crown and that is great. I just hope games are as fun to play on it as they look. Honestly at 33 years old I no longer care "much" how games look. I remember pong! and it was frigging fun! :p. I've played some great looking games and they sucked ass. I wont buy a playstation at launch because I want to play fun games and honestly. It's not fun to spend a weeks worth of groceries to play a game :p. Anyone care to guess what the Playstation 4 is going to cost? Every time a new system gets released it’s more expensive then the last. Yea I’ve heard of inflation but dam it there is a point where it’s just silly. Graphics don’t make great games! They do not even make good ones. I sat down about a month ago and played Zelda: Ocarina of Time because I longed for something fun. I enjoyed that immensely! I would have paid good money again for that kind of enjoyment. Do we really need all that horse power to play good games? Microsoft does not think so… Nintendo certainly does not think so… And well I honestly do not think so. From what I gather Next generation is about “Graphics” and little emphasis on game play with certain company’s.

Personally this is how I feel. If all console company’s felt the same as Sony and built big impressive yet expensive machines. The console wars would be over. PC’s would be the victor when the dust settles on the consoles battlefield. Because they’d all be dead. There is just a point when it becomes too much. Sony is close to that point if not gone over it. Sony Playstation 3 will be immensely cool! The games will look frigging awesome! And It will prob. even be fun to play. I just feel that you don’t need to spend that much money on all that kit to have fun playing an electronic game. When it comes down to it people, Sony’s machine is going to cost a hell of allot because it has a blue ray player and performs at 1080p. I’ve already said most people whom buy one will prob. never bother hooking it up to a TV capable of that. Wasted technology? Yes, wasted money? You betcha. So in this case the only reason to buy a PS3 is what? Perhaps a particular game that is exclusive to the system? It’s the only reason (in this case) I can see. And that folks is allot of money to put out simply to play a few select exclusive games.

Point? Don’t buy the dam thing if you are not going to hook it up to a 1080p frigging TV! Because those capabilities are what you are paying for in the first place right? I also hope to hell that blue ray wins the crown for HD technology of choice! Blue Ray is at this point an early adopters product… Why? Well because it is one of 2 formats battling it out to become the next generation format ;). I find it silly to be an early adopter because the equipment is always expensive, full of bugs and when the dust settles… well it just might not be the format of choice ;). Sony is kind of shoving an early adopters product down peoples throat and calling it a PS3. They have allot invested in Blue Ray and this is just a method to get blue ray in the homes of many Playstation fans homes. Anyhow it’s certainly a sweeeeeeeeet piece of kit and I wont say otherwise… I just feel it’s not really needed, especially at such an expense.

Well you heard me babble again… Have fun with it, be gentle though.

Edit:

Just have to ask... Anyone seen any video footage of Crysis for Xbox360, PC etc.? I'm willing to bet it will be the best looking game when it hits store shelves. No it's not Blue ray or HD-DVD. As a bonus it is prob. going to be fun as hell to play ;).

Last edited:

Marzeth

Good job Blue. I totally agree with you on price. I think Sony's PS3 is touching, if not over the line where the buck drops for a console. Their fight will be a tough one, that's for sure. Wii is extremely affordable and 360 is all your left for next-gen affordability. I think Playstation fanboys and blu-ray enthusiasts will be the only ones going for it. Oh, let's not forget the spoiled rich kids! And man! Never looked at it that way, but a week's grocery for a game?!? Ouch! That's gonna hurt! But we all spend that kind of money on something anyways.

In regards to fun, I totally understand the Ocarina of Time comment. I loved playing that too, but in my case I moved on and now I'm playing Oblivion which has improved significantly in playability and graphics, and personally it does make a difference for me, mainly due to immersion. I've got to feel I'm in the game to enjoy it better and I believe that's what the PS3 will do for me.

In regards to TVs, I think everyone should dictate accordingly as you say. Me, PS3 or not, I was updating to a larger HD anyways, 1080p being the max resolution. That's going to be well after the PS3 purchase though, since I can wait to see HD but can't wait to play the games. Which brings me back to looking forward to all PS3 games. The one and only reason I am going forward with my purchase no matter what. Which in the end means, HD or no HD, I was getting a PS3... did I mess myself up in this paragraph!

To truly define who dominates in the console wars, all companies had to decide for a technological position in this battle and this is how it ended. The XBox had more potential than the PS2 previously, this time Sony wanted to make sure they took the upper hand.

Doom_Machine

Edit:

Just wanted to mention. How many people do you think will own 1080p capable TV's within the next few years? Most semi expensive TV's on the market now are only capable of 1080i. A 1080p TV of any decent size is dam expensive! How many Xbox 360 players do you think are using their old TV with AVI inputs? I bet you over half. It is sad but it is true. People are going to pay a ton for the PS3 and will never see it in 1080p... It's sad but it is true. You can call it "crying" if you like but many people want affordable devices. Especially when it's parents buying for their children. It is sad but it's true :).

i'll mention again that you can buy an inexpensive converter to play consoles on your pc monitor and vise versa...so technically you shouldnt add hd tv as a price....so what difference would it matter if you play pc games on a 19" or consoles on one?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
In regards to fun, I totally understand the Ocarina of Time comment. I loved playing that too, but in my case I moved on and now I'm playing Oblivion which has improved significantly in playability and graphics, and personally it does make a difference for me, mainly due to immersion. I've got to feel I'm in the game to enjoy it better and I believe that's what the PS3 will do for me.

Well don't get me wrong :). I have moved on as well and also own Oblivion and other such games. I agree that the better the graphics the better immersion, but the game has to be good and fun to become immersed also. Graphics are important (maybe I downplayed that). But awesome graphics can be achieved with this gen formats (crysis being a good example). When it comes down to it... Technology has to keep improving and Blue ray and HD-DVD is a must for the future (well one of them) I just feel that we should not have to pay through the nose for them now. I honestly understand your wanting that PS3 and I do believe it will be one hell of a machine. I gripe is with the price and the reasons for it. But I know I've made that clear and understood :).

i'll mention again that you can buy an inexpensive converter to play consoles on your pc monitor and vise versa...so technically you shouldnt add hd tv as a price....so what difference would it matter if you play pc games on a 19" or consoles on one?

Well they are great and all but my argument is not with the prices of HD TV's ;) it's with the PS3 system and what makes it so expensive. You would do better to read that a bit more carefully. You can buy a $3000. PC and hook it up to a 13" TV too ;).

Edit:

I'd better explain to make it more clear. I mention HD TV's and the fact they are expensive because this helps to determine whether folks will own them anytime soon (I own a 1080i TV but that's besides the point). The connection was this... If you don't own and HD TV then why should you worry if it plays blue ray HD movies? (most use this as an arguement for the ps3) Also if you pay the high price for the PS3 because it has blue ray, which we have now determined that it's useless without having an HD TV as you won't be able to enjoy the HD content in HD ;). Basically if you spend a frigging fortune on the PS3 and play it on a regular TV (most people will do this) your wasting all that technology (and your spending a premium to do it).

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
From what i know about it.. the PS3 will be a beast of a console.. but imo, it'll be too expensive. A console is mainly for multiplayer.. you know, like getting a friend next to you, and just have some fun.
for that, grafic's arnt the biggest thing, but the fun you have playing it.
last sunday, i even got my SNES out of the closet again, and started playing Mario world 3.. i mean, the grafic's suck if you compare it to stuff nowday's.. but the gameplay is still hard to beat :p

anyhow... for BlueRay beeing the future... i doubt it.. you came up with the UT2004 example.. well, name me one newer game that uses more space on install disks? no.. bigger disks isnt the future i think, better comprimation is, i mean.. If you have a really big disk,.. how long will it take you to search for the data on it, and then load that data? Im sorry, but i think If you max out the data on a blueRay disk, the loading will take way too long.. and long loading times make a console pretty bad.
i mean... you buy a console to just plug it in, put it on, and play.. we already have pc's for long loading screens ;)
sure... blue ray and HD tv are nice... but then... if a game is really fun, you forget about the grafic's. ( ever played Zelda: Windwaker Gamecube ) :)

sure... when the ps2 and the xbox were released, there was aHUGE grafical increasement.. but then,.. you could hardly buy a pc with the same performance then.. not to mention for the same price..
that is kinda different now, for example, i think my pc will play games pretty much the same way as the ps3 will do ( i could be mistaken tough ofc )
and if not... ill try to overclock it..
my point? a console shouldnt be that expensive compared to its pc counterpart.

this is just my humble oppinion,... ofc none of you agrees with that ;)

Marzeth

...anyhow... for BlueRay beeing the future... i doubt it.. you came up with the UT2004 example.. well, name me one newer game that uses more space on install disks? no.. bigger disks isnt the future i think, better comprimation is, i mean.. If you have a really big disk,.. how long will it take you to search for the data on it, and then load that data? Im sorry, but i think If you max out the data on a blueRay disk, the loading will take way too long.. and long loading times make a console pretty bad...

You can read the following in regards to storage issues and regarding load times, that is always taken care of during development if there's an issue. Most importantly, it might not necessarily be heavier content but more content.
1. "Would it have been possible to create Resistance on anything but the PlayStation 3, like the PS2, Xbox 360 or PC, and if not, why?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p4.html
2. "Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform?" here http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html

In regards to your PC comment, I totally agree with you. My Desktop is not the greatest, but I can still run some pretty mean apps.

I just hope that the PS3 has enough buyers for Sony to keep pumping out great non-exclusive & exclusive games. Which brings me to an article I found in regards to loss of exclusivity. Final Fantasy's Square Enix is thinking of multiplatforming from now on. Now that is a big Sony PS 3rd party exclusive developing powerhouse that is parting!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/735/735559p1.html

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Bit off topic but in regards to final fantasy... I'm really looking forward to final fantasy III on the DS which is due out in November. hmmm there is like 2 others also.

So that my post is not fully off topic:

The PS3 will be a mean machine! I'm actually hoping that they announce a price drop. Never hurts to hope. Not because I'm buying one, because I'm not (prob. one day though). Just that I have fond memories of my ol PSX... I never got the same kind of enjoyment out of my PS2 but I became a PC gamer just after the PSX, Nintendo64 days.

Last edited:

Doom_Machine

they did drop the price of the ps3 in japan..about $428,apparantly due to price of nintendo..i forget the details actually, i had the article but i'd have to hunt for it if anyone must see

Marzeth

Can someone please tell me what's going on?

All the HD interested individuals were complaining about having to pay an additional $100.00 for the HDMI cable that is not included with the PS3s, but according to this little article http://gear.ign.com/articles/735/735860p1.html it seems that an HDMI cable was never included in the XBox360 and apparently, never will either.

Can someone that owns an XBox360 please confirm this?

Geoff

VIP Member
Can someone please tell me what's going on?

All the HD interested individuals were complaining about having to pay an additional $100.00 for the HDMI cable that is not included with the PS3s, but according to this little article http://gear.ign.com/articles/735/735860p1.html it seems that an HDMI cable was never included in the XBox360 and apparently, never will either.

Can someone that owns an XBox360 please confirm this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Xbox360 came with a component video cable. I'm not sure if its HDMI compatible or not however.

R2_Shot_U

[-0MEGA-];445190 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Xbox360 came with a component video cable. I'm not sure if its HDMI compatible or not however.

It did come with a component video cable, but however is not HDMI compatible....yet o_O

And just for the record, my 360 does not overheat, unless, i put it on carpet and play it for an extended period of time, more than 6 hours. And yes i did play for 6 hours at a friends house, we beat PDZ in that one night.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It did come with a component video cable, but however is not HDMI compatible....yet o_O

And just for the record, my 360 does not overheat, unless, i put it on carpet and play it for an extended period of time, more than 6 hours. And yes i did play for 6 hours at a friends house, we beat PDZ in that one night.

Welcome to the site and the discussion. Playing for 6 hours is gonna hurt you though LOL.