• Opera

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

G80FTW

If you use anything in a program, you're using its UI. Doesn't matter what you do.
You can also view web browsers as programs who render UIs of websites on the Internet. Some of them render them better than others. Some do fairly well but also make it easier to do important things, while others let you go crazy with the browser's UI while sacrificing speed and ease of use. And others just suck at doing anything in general, namely IE before IE11.

As for speed and computer dependency, I've had better results with Chrome on a lot more computers than I've had with Firefox on those computers.
So in the end, it is up to your perception, and you can definitely be proud of the fact you think you don't conform to what other people think you should conform to, and that's fine.
Doesn't mean you won't get criticized for it though.

Yes but in terms of the web browser what part of the UI do you actually use to browse the web other than the address bar? Which is almost uniform to all browsers in some respect. I mean, once you are on whatever webpage you get to, you are just either clicking links or typing text which has almost nothing to do with the browsers UI.

Perhaps some people do more with their web browser than browse the web (not sure what else there is to do with it) but aside from 2 buttons and an address bar I dont even look at the UI of my web browser.

I will agree that when Chrome came out it was significantly faster than any other browser I had used, but since they have been toying with it that just isnt the case anymore on my machine.

Im just gonna say this, on my computer every web browser "renders" computer forum in the same exact format. So the only reason for me to choose one over the other is security. Iv never seen a browser "render" a website "better" than another browser.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

I will agree that when Chrome came out it was significantly faster than any other browser I had used, but since they have been toying with it that just isnt the case anymore on my machine.

I do agree with this. For me, it's still faster than any other browser but just barley. Chrome would be open in a half of a second on Chrome 7, but now it takes a few seconds :(.

ivtec

banned
I do agree with this. For me, it's still faster than any other browser but just barley. Chrome would be open in a half of a second on Chrome 7, but now it takes a few seconds :(.

I don't like Chrome cause always asks at opening web page for keying crap on Linux{ i use Firefox} .On win vista i use IE9 cause it's more friendly to me and Firefox asks for Flash Player,and chrome the favorites and task-bar and browser is not so easier for me as it's in Firefox or IE

lucasbytegenius

I use Chrome on Ubuntu I don't know what you're talking about. It asks me nothing.

He's probably talking about the keyring bullcrap, but I don't get that very often with Chrome on Ubuntu. You'll get it with other apps as well though.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Ok then I'm not getting what this means.

It is a little odd for him to be getting key ring on Ubuntu, key ring (gnome) or kwallet (kde) I only see on other distributions with enterprise in mind, since Ubuntu is more consumer focused I am pretty sure key ring is disabled by default, though not sure since I don't run a form of Ubuntu or Debian anymore.

ivtec: I would check some settings with key ring if it keeps annoying you, you shouldn't have it popping up with Chrome, I think the only time I remember seeing key ring is when using gnome default packages like evolution is an example I remember key ring.

ivtec

banned
It is a little odd for him to be getting key ring on Ubuntu, key ring (gnome) or kwallet (kde) I only see on other distributions with enterprise in mind, since Ubuntu is more consumer focused I am pretty sure key ring is disabled by default, though not sure since I don't run a form of Ubuntu or Debian anymore.

ivtec: I would check some settings with key ring if it keeps annoying you, you shouldn't have it popping up with Chrome, I think the only time I remember seeing key ring is when using gnome default packages like evolution is an example I remember key ring.

Appreciate your response, but i can get Firefox in my Pc out of the box without that annoying crap every time i open browser( keyring or whatever you call it), and i tried to get rid of it but i failed maybe cause i don't like to work on a browser settings if i have the choice of many browsers that just let me default stuff the easy way and if those default settings are good for. me.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Appreciate your response, but i can get Firefox in my Pc out of the box without that annoying crap every time i open browser( keyring or whatever you call it), and i tried to get rid of it but i failed maybe cause i don't like to work on a browser settings if i have the choice of many browsers that just let me default stuff the easy way and if those default settings are good for. me.

Cool, have you tried Firefox nightly builds yet?

ivtec

banned
Cool, have you tried Firefox nightly builds yet?

What is That DMGrier?please elaborate.

i use firefox on Ubuntu12.04, and In Xubuntu, on my Sony Vaio Laptop, and on My main Lenovo Desktop,

on my debian aple PPC i run Iceweasel,

and on my Remaining Win vista Laptop i like IE9, i tried firefox the other day and i wanted to watch live video streaming and it told me i had to install Flash player i've downloaded it and still could not access the live video and i got mad and uninstalled it right away and reinstalled IE9, i hate when these things don't run out of the box.

DMGrier

VIP Member
http://nightly.mozilla.org/
Not for day to day use, quite unstable.

I use it for day to day use and no problems, and from what I have seen on many different distro forums most people have no problems with nightly builds.

ivtec: Nightly builds is what Firefox is testing for the next version of Firefox, in my experience very stable, but even if something was to happen it is a separate application from the main Firefox application. Meaning your Firefox application goes untouched even if nightly was to completely crap out, and if anyone is wondering cause I have been asked this on other forums it does use a separate profile. If you are interested in giving it a try for Ubuntu all you do is....
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk
As I stated before, even if Nightly completely falls apart your original Firefox will be untouched since Nightly install's as a separate application, though most users on Linux report it being pretty stable.

lucasbytegenius

As I stated before, even if Nightly completely falls apart your original Firefox will be untouched since Nightly install's as a separate application, though most users on Linux report it being pretty stable.

Well, the versions are different, but they both share the same profile, so Firefox stable may still be affected.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well, the versions are different, but they both share the same profile, so Firefox stable may still be affected.

No they do not, search the Ubuntu forums as this has already been discussed and proven they use different profiles unless you alter that yourself.

Robert P

Firefox except for Windows update where you have to use IE. I refuse to even try Chrome because Google has been putting so much effort into trying to cram it down everyone's throats.

spirit

Staff member
I've been using a lot of web browsers (in virtual machines) lately because I've been creating a website and I needed to test it in a variety of browsers to make sure they render the site properly.

I still use Chrome as my main web browser and but I use Firefox, Pale Moon, Safari, Opera and 'Midori' (which I had never even heard of until a friend informed me about it) in a VM to test my website on.

I also test my website on older browsers too - I have a VM of Vista with IE9, a VM of XP which I switch between IE7 and 8 on, and even Windows 2000 with IE5 and 6. Since I've dropped support for IE7 and older now, I won't be using those older browsers half as much. ;)