Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
When talking about security,I never EVER rely on the internet web browser built-in security wether it is IE or FF or Chrome or Opera or Safari or whichever you prefer...
I rather rely on other ways...:eek:

lucasbytegenius

When talking about security,I never EVER rely on the internet web browser built-in security wether it is IE or FF or Chrome or Opera or Safari or whichever you prefer...
I rather rely on other ways...:eek:

It's better it doesn't get past your browser in the first place, but yes you shouldn't depend on just your browser.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
It's better it doesn't get past your browser in the first place, but yes you shouldn't depend on just your browser.

Yeah I agree that it's better that it doesn't get past your browser,but in the case it does then it's good to be armed and ready. :p
The problem is that SO MANY people depend ONLY on their browser's security...unfortunately...

Alright I am going to eat some macrobiotic food now!
Cya!!!

jmurray01

Firefox just updated itself to 29.0.1 this morning on my PC and wow - what a change!! The past few updates have been minor, but this one is a complete rework of the design.

I've got to say though, as much as I dislike change - it is quite nice.

So yet again, Mozilla is best... Well, for me anyway!

lucasbytegenius

Firefox just updated itself to 29.0.1 this morning on my PC and wow - what a change!! The past few updates have been minor, but this one is a complete rework of the design.

I've got to say though, as much as I dislike change - it is quite nice.

So yet again, Mozilla is best... Well, for me anyway!

So Mozilla is best despite copying Chrome's design and release cycle, among other things? That makes sense, bro.

Ambushed

Have been using Mozilla Firefox for the last year - Also loving the latest update! How about everyone else?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Until now I have still not encountered the web site which does not open properly.
So as long as that is the case,I am not updating it to the next version.
I update only when neccessary.

Geoff

VIP Member
Until now I have still not encountered the web site which does not open properly.
So as long as that is the case,I am not updating it to the next version.
I update only when neccessary.
I guess you don't care for security or new features.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I guess you don't care for security or new features.

My security does not depend on the web browser.It depends on tons of other things.
And when I surf the web trying to find something and not knowing wether something bad might happen or not,I ALWAYS do it from my UAC test computer 1 or 2 so it is virtually impossible that something happens to my main UAC computer 1 and 2.

As for the features,you are right about that: I don't care for new features.
I mean I have TONS of features already and I am not even using all of them so I SURELY do not need ALL of them as soon as they come out lol.
The only 2 add-ons that I really even use in Firefox 5.0.1 are SAVE IMAGES 0.8.7 and DOWNLOAD HELPER 4.9.21.
Here and there I use some others also,but they work just fine in Firefox 5.0.1 which I installed back in 2011. so there is really no need to waste time on updating Firefox,add-ons and everything else just because the new versions came out.
Hell new versions of so many of these things come out almost every single day.I don't have time to waste on updating everything as soon as it comes out.There is no money in that lol.I rather spend my time learning programming and creating software with which I will earn money AND have very useful knowledge.
Did I mention money? :D

Geoff

VIP Member
So you don't know that older browsers where security updates are no longer being worked on are more vulnerable to attacks than an up to date browser? I'm not talking about stopping viruses or malware, but exploits.

lucasbytegenius

My security does not depend on the web browser.It depends on tons of other things.
And when I surf the web trying to find something and not knowing wether something bad might happen or not,I ALWAYS do it from my UAC test computer 1 or 2 so it is virtually impossible that something happens to my main UAC computer 1 and 2.

As for the features,you are right about that: I don't care for new features.
I mean I have TONS of features already and I am not even using all of them so I SURELY do not need ALL of them as soon as they come out lol.
The only 2 add-ons that I really even use in Firefox 5.0.1 are SAVE IMAGES 0.8.7 and DOWNLOAD HELPER 4.9.21.
Here and there I use some others also,but they work just fine in Firefox 5.0.1 which I installed back in 2011. so there is really no need to waste time on updating Firefox,add-ons and everything else just because the new versions came out.
Hell new versions of so many of these things come out almost every single day.I don't have time to waste on updating everything as soon as it comes out.There is no money in that lol.I rather spend my time learning programming and creating software with which I will earn money AND have very useful knowledge.
Did I mention money? :D

People aren't going to pay programmers whose software philosophy is 'program like it's 1999' and 'outdated insecure software is the best because I'm too lazy to update'. This reflects poorly on your reputation because it shows you are too lazy to update your software, which in turn means to your clients that you are too lazy to write stable code and secure the programs you write for them. Just slapping "UAC" on everything like some sort of holy brand is not going to secure your software, or your reputation.

Having system protection and quarantined systems is not going to save you if a malicious hacker specifically wants to target your browser.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
So you don't know that older browsers where security updates are no longer being worked on are more vulnerable to attacks than an up to date browser? I'm not talking about stopping viruses or malware, but exploits.

...when I surf the web trying to find something and not knowing wether something bad might happen or not,I ALWAYS do it from my UAC test computer 1 or 2 so it is virtually impossible that something happens to my main UAC computer 1 and 2...

People aren't going to pay programmers whose software philosophy is 'program like it's 1999' and 'outdated insecure software is the best because I'm too lazy to update'. This reflects poorly on your reputation because it shows you are too lazy to update your software, which in turn means to your clients that you are too lazy to write stable code and secure the programs you write for them. Just slapping "UAC" on everything like some sort of holy brand is not going to secure your software, or your reputation.

Having system protection and quarantined systems is not going to save you if a malicious hacker specifically wants to target your browser.

No offence,but you really don't know what you are talking about...
I am in the programming world and studying it for 10 long years.
The software I am working on now is super stable,super fast,super easy to use,it works on ALL Windows systems starting all the way back from Windows 98,it cannot be detected by any antivirus programs,it does not slow down the computer at all (even the 15 years old ones),it does not conflict with any other installed software on the computer,it is well optimized so the CPU and RAM usage is small,it is not crashing since all possible errors that could occur are cought (unless if the operating system is in a nightmare state so that everything on the computer is crashing),it has very nice and useful options which are super easy to configure and use and so on...

SO according to all this,TRUST ME when I say that the clients will be VERY happy with the software.

And please for the love of God stop saying that I am too lazy to write the stable code.If I am so lazy then this software would already be finished long time ago and I would not lose so much time to make everything as best as I possibly can.
If you have never done any programming then you CANNOT I repeat you CANNOT understand these things at all.
If this is so easy then I would not be studying this for years like everyone else...
And trust me when I say that writing stable code is a VERY hard job AND if you have never doen any programming then you CANNOT know the difference between unstable and stable code.You just think you can,but TRUST ME you can't.I thought the same until I started learning these things 10 years ago.

And also...I haven't even release the software yet.So until I do I want you all to stop saying that the software is unstable because you never even tryed it...

And BELIEVE ME when I say that "installing the latest software version" and "making the software" are 2 different things.You cannot say that someone writes bad software just because he/she/they use older Firefox version.That does not make any sense...
Also I made my first web browser application which was using IE engine back in 2006. and it worked fine.
So trust me...I know what I am talking about.
I just don't NEED to install the latest browser version because I DO NOT NEED ALL THE NEW FEATURES.NOBODY ON THIS WORLD NEEDS ALL THE FEATURES LOL.

And one last thing:

The software I am working on has nothing to do with the damn Firefox I am currently using.Just because I use Firefox 5.0.1 does NOT mean that the COMPLETELY DIFFERENT software I am working on will be poor and unstable.
You are connecting 2 different things.That's wrong and does not make any sense.
Trust me...these things are not easy and simple like "updating the software to the latest version".

I tend to see so many people talking about this "unstable code" crap and NONE of them never made a single software or wrote a single line of code.
So until they actually make something good and stable they CANNOT know anything about this.They will THINK and BE CONVINCED they can,but trust me...they can't...it's impossible.
Do you have any idea how much code is neccessary just to create one freaking EMPTY WINDOW?
Let me show you:

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <tchar.h>

// Global variables

// The main window class name.
static TCHAR szWindowClass[] = _T("win32app");

// The string that appears in the application's title bar.
static TCHAR szTitle[] = _T("Win32 Guided Tour Application");

HINSTANCE hInst;

// Forward declarations of functions included in this code module:
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
LPSTR lpCmdLine,
int nCmdShow)
{
WNDCLASSEX wcex;

wcex.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);
wcex.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;
wcex.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
wcex.cbClsExtra = 0;
wcex.cbWndExtra = 0;
wcex.hInstance = hInstance;
wcex.hIcon = LoadIcon(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_APPLICATION));
wcex.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);
wcex.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1);
wcex.lpszMenuName = NULL;
wcex.lpszClassName = szWindowClass;
wcex.hIconSm = LoadIcon(wcex.hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_APPLICATION));

if (!RegisterClassEx(&wcex))
{
MessageBox(NULL,
_T("Call to RegisterClassEx failed!"),
_T("Win32 Guided Tour"),
NULL);

return 1;
}

hInst = hInstance; // Store instance handle in our global variable

// The parameters to CreateWindow explained:
// szWindowClass: the name of the application
// szTitle: the text that appears in the title bar
// WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW: the type of window to create
// CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT: initial position (x, y)
// 500, 100: initial size (width, length)
// NULL: the parent of this window
// NULL: this application does not have a menu bar
// hInstance: the first parameter from WinMain
// NULL: not used in this application
HWND hWnd = CreateWindow(
szWindowClass,
szTitle,
WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,
CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
500, 100,
NULL,
NULL,
hInstance,
NULL
);

if (!hWnd)
{
MessageBox(NULL,
_T("Call to CreateWindow failed!"),
_T("Win32 Guided Tour"),
NULL);

return 1;
}

// The parameters to ShowWindow explained:
// hWnd: the value returned from CreateWindow
// nCmdShow: the fourth parameter from WinMain
ShowWindow(hWnd,
nCmdShow);
UpdateWindow(hWnd);

// Main message loop:
MSG msg;
while (GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0))
{
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}

return (int) msg.wParam;
}

//
// FUNCTION: WndProc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM)
//
// PURPOSE: Processes messages for the main window.
//
// WM_PAINT - Paint the main window
// WM_DESTROY - post a quit message and return
//
//
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
PAINTSTRUCT ps;
HDC hdc;
TCHAR greeting[] = _T("Hello, World!");

switch (message)
{
case WM_PAINT:
hdc = BeginPaint(hWnd, &ps);

// Here your application is laid out.
// For this introduction, we just print out "Hello, World!"
// in the top left corner.
TextOut(hdc,
5, 5,
greeting, _tcslen(greeting));
// End application-specific layout section.

EndPaint(hWnd, &ps);
break;
case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
break;
default:
return DefWindowProc(hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);
break;
}

return 0;
}

And all that just for this:
EmptyForm.PNG

Now imagine that you now have tons of controls like buttons,text boxes,labels and a LOT LOT LOT more.
And those are just interface controls.
You now need to make them functional also.That makes everything even harder.

The UAC computer spy 1.0 software I am working on right now has more than 700 pages of code I wrote.And all those 700 pages are for just 2 windows.
And they are not finished yet so it will be more than 700.

Do you have any idea how much hard work that is?

Take a software called FORMAT FACTORY for example.The size of it's setup file is about 65 MB (approximately of course).
BUT...those 65 MB does not seem much right?
Oh wait...that is 65 MB of pure text called PROGRAMMING CODE THAT SOMEONE WROTE AND WORKED ON IT LIKE A HORSE.

Wow...now it seems much right?
65 MB of text...

Get the picture?

Originally Posted by S.T.A.R.S.
I really have no concept of security

Change my post like that and then quote on it one more time and I will report you right away.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You seem to be getting off topic, I'm not criticizing your programming skills at all, simply saying that running EOL software such as browsers opens up your machine to lots of security exploits.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I know man.
Don't worry I know what you meant.
I just wanted to say what I said in my previous post because a lots of people are confusing things.

Look...

I am not saying that newer versions of browsers are bad.
They are not of course.Otherwise there would be no point in making the new versions.

ALL I am saying is that I do not NEED all the new features.I have tons of tools and features already and even now I don't use all of them.

And as for security:

1. If people depend on the security just based on a browser,then that is not really a good idea.It is extremely easy to break the browser's security.They are not security tools...they are just internet surfing applications with some LOW security levels,but nothing more...

2. You say that I open up my machine to lots of security exploits...

^
|

Like I said in my previous posts on this thread and many others:

The computers on which all important data is stored and used are not connected to the outside world on any sort of way.Same applies for my UAC data device and all the computers I have in my UAC data center including those 2 main computers in the UAC data center control room (where I spent most of my time).
The ONLY 2 computers which I use and which ARE connected to the internet are test UAC computer 1 and 2 which are ALSO located in my control room.But I used them for nothing more but for surfing the internet.
So if someone breaks into those 2 computers then I don't care because I have nothing more on them except Windows OS,drivers and a web browser.
There is a reason why I call them TEST computers.
And of course I already said the same thing before:
...And when I surf the web trying to find something and not knowing wether something bad might happen or not,I ALWAYS do it from my UAC test computer 1 or 2 so it is virtually impossible that something happens to my main UAC computer 1 and 2.

Do you now understand?

Even if I use IE6 it doesn't matter to me.It is all on a completely physically separated 2 test computers and it's virtually impossible for ANYONE to break into my data.

Some may say that I am too careful and they would be right.
I am and I have a good reason for it.

beers

Staff member
Seems kind of OT. If you're complaining about UI code and file sizes it sounds like you aren't hugely experienced. That really doesn't have anything to do with which browser to use, or best security practices, or really anything else in this thread.

Being a programmer doesn't imply a skill level in another field such as security.
If people depend on the security just based on a browser,then that is not really a good idea.

Sure, you'll always want a layered approach, but that isn't the message you're sending out. Flaunting that you use FF 5.0 might give off a different vibe to someone less experienced than you or who has never set up a secure network.

I am a pretty pink princess.

You disappoint me.