• AMD

Votes: 297 39.7%
  • PowerPC

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

ad356

have to support the underdog. i converted over from intel chips back when i moved from a pentium II 350 MHZ to a 700 thunderbird athlon, that was a long time ago. i havent owned anything intel since that PII, i have since had a 700 MHZ tbird, a 1500+ athlon XP, a sempron 2800+, an athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 (still my wifes machine), and currently athlon 64 X2 4200+. i cant complain about any of them. they are stable, fast, and a good value. AMD all of the way, and cant wait until the new AMD chips come out, they will put intel back in its place again.

elitehacker

How can you speculate on the future like that? AMD is so far behind now, what makes you think they will catch up to Intel? Intel is poised to release 45nm chips, while AMD is nowhere need that. AMD will always be the budget option, it will be for those who do not have the funds for an Intel chip.

repo485

I've been hearing that AMD is starting to take over Intel. Intel's customer support is falling through the floor.My pick is AMD.

Geoff

VIP Member
I've been hearing that AMD is starting to take over Intel. Intel's customer support is falling through the floor.My pick is AMD.
AMD isn't taking over Intel in terms of performance, The Core 2's still outperform AMD's latest by a long shot.

Sure AMD may have better customer support since they need more buyers then Intel, although how often do you actually use Intel's tech support?

DirtyD86

banned

that would be like the mom and pop general store down the street buying out walmart... you wont be seeing that anytime soon i can assure you

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am a fan of both intel and AMD. If I were to go out and buy a processor today, I would buy intel. 5 months from now? Could be either.

Also, PPC is pretty much out of the consumer market unless you count console systems. PPC hardware is found only really in enterprise products.

CrazyEh

I've always been an Intel fan.

I haven't had one AMD cpu, so I cannot say anything bad/good about AMD.

I've only had one intel CPU blow on me. Intel's support was outstanding. They sent me a new CPU in no time.

SirKenin

banned
Well, since Intel spanks AMD silly in the desktop and mobile markets, that's what I choose and use. For servers I use either Xeons or Opterons, depending.

Geoff

VIP Member
AMD has already stated that it's moving away from trying to always top Intel's processors, and that they are now trying to focus on the mainstream market where there is more of a demand for value-priced processors. I don't have any trouble believing that either, since AMD really needs to start selling more if they want to regain the processor market.

SirKenin

banned
That's true. They can't keep up. They need to face it that they're not a key player, and start catering to markets where they do well, while still maintaining healthy margins. The budget desktop market they do well in. They've also made a strong showing with their Opterons. They don't have the fabs or resources to lead the segment.. so just settle in and make a strong showing in a couple of niche markets...

Actually, if I was CEO of AMD I would cut the fanboys off completely. Their useless tongue wagging and 3 page Mad Onion signatures don't line shareholder pockets. In fact, there's no money to be made from those little brats. Besides, I grew sick and tired of listening to the fanboys a long time ago. The corporate market is where the money is. I would devote all my resources there. Forget the fanboys. They're useless...and usually operating on a McDonald's budget.

AMD is needed, to give Intel the incentive to push forward. Besides, it looks good on Intel when they smoke AMD for very little more money. They can use that in their marketting. Intel isn't interested in seeing AMD disappear either.

WhiteFireDragon

wait... i didnt even know there were other brands besides AMD and intel! marketing-wise, the others are getting owned since i never hear of them lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
wait... i didnt even know there were other brands besides AMD and intel! marketing-wise, the others are getting owned since i never hear of them lol

really, there is no other consumer processor other than AMD or Intel. PPC or power PC is really only in high end equipment and embedded systems. All the current next generation console systems run off of PPC based architecture, IBM's blade servers run off of PPC, Cicso routers have PPC processors in them, some hand held technology, and I think perhaps even some cell phones have processors based off of PPC technology. It is a RISC based platform so it is great for embedded systems that are basically just one circuit board with all the parts.

VIA made processors for a while but really they are only used in embedded systems, just like PPC processors are now. With the exception that some higher end computers (well servers) run PPC based hardware.

jds21

Intel

AMD was leading before Intel released the Core 2 Duos and they have been behind ever since. ATI has also taken a massive plunge after being bought by AMD leaving Nvidia the leader of GPUs

funkysnair

VIP Member
well-ive had intel core2duo E6400 and amd 6000+ and i like amd better!!!!

cant say about new intel cos ive never used them but im not fussed on quadcores just yet as dualcores are still too good to be out dated!