Votes: 262 35.7%
  • Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

4W4K3

VIP Member
I jsut got an AMD Athlon 1700+ (DUT3C stepping) out of a trashed PC lol. Will have to see how well she overclocks :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
maroon1 said:
some people voted for others, well is there other processors different from AMD, intel and powerpc???

For the home user, I would argue AMD and Intel are the only affordable/realistic brands for the home user. There are more than those 2 in the world, but even PowerPC is very rarely seen in someone's bedroom.

Super_Nova

VIA makes a line of processors but they are mostly used on their Mini-ITX motherboards.

Oh how I'd love a Mini-ITX motherboard with an Nforce4 chipset and a socket for athlon64's :D

I'm an AMD guy all the way.

Geoff

VIP Member
cptnwinky said:
AMD are just faster chips. The P4 is too slow because of the large L2 Cache. Since AMD hasnt brokent he 256 mark they are alot faster. I think Intel has learned from their mistake though and brought the L2 Cache from 512 back down to 256.

:eek:

I love looking back on posts made in 2003 :p

tweaker

VIP Member
Well AMD's has never actually been faster, just more efficient. :)

Heh my chip packs 2MB no wonder it crawls... :p

Last edited:

icemanjc

I have both Power PC by IBM and intel since apple's recent switch from IBM to Intel, because IBM could not Keep up with todays speed

super_xero

ye amd have been veery eficiant that is till intel release there 62nm proccess cpu and then intel might become more efficiant

mfquarles

In reply to Maroon1, there are still a few old Cyrix chips on the market. While I do not necessarily favor one brand over the other, I wrote a little book called "Building a PC for Beginners", and in it I used an AMD Sempron. My main reason was the price. The Sempron was dirt cheap, in addition to being very reliable, giving the first time builder good value all the way around. At http://www.monkeyseemonkeydobooks.com/index.html there is a sample showing the Sempron being installed.