• Intel

Votes: 262 35.7%
  • Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

andy5667

I have to choose intel. All my past and present pcs have been intel and i have never had any bother wat so ever!

Motoxrdude

I would have to say definitly AMD. I mean intel gets the job done but its sluggish. My sisters computer has a Intel P4 3Ghz processor and it feels slow compared to my 2300+. We have the same Ram, hard drive, and video card. Out of the box it still felt slow. Its very odd because i know that 3ghz processor would kick the crap out of my 2300+ any day but the 2300+ still feels faster

Geoff

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
I would have to say definitly AMD. I mean intel gets the job done but its sluggish. My sisters computer has a Intel P4 3Ghz processor and it feels slow compared to my 2300+. We have the same Ram, hard drive, and video card. Out of the box it still felt slow. Its very odd because i know that 3ghz processor would kick the crap out of my 2300+ any day but the 2300+ still feels faster
Do you mean at games or just during normal use? If its gaming then i feel the same way, i used to have a P4 3Ghz and then i needed to sell it and i bought a Sempron 2800+ and it works much better at games.

Motoxrdude

Yea games totaly, also with normal use to, when i open up all my programs at once the 3ghz computer slows way down and takes it forever to "unbottle neck" will my 2300+ can start them all without bottlenecking

4W4K3

VIP Member
Chances are your sister doesn't "maintain" her computer like you do. No amount of fancy/fast hardware can live up to it's name if the end user is bombarding the computer with all kinds of crap. We all know how slow a computer is when it's just not "kept clean" of malware and jsut general clutter, even a high-powered computer.

AMD's also have 2MB L2 cache (not all mind you, but select few). Not to mention AMD's L1 cache is also larger for the most part.

Motoxrdude

Yea that is definitly true, which reminds me i have to reformat her computer, lol, she got a virus and now she cant visit her websites and shes kinda ticked, girls sometimes....

shaidi

Seeing this forum made me change my mind on AMD. I will give it a try and buy one tomorrow and see how it works. Been using Intel for the past 6yrs now. So lets see how it goes.

Thanks for the info

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
wtf are you talking about.. larger cache=faster performance.
It does, but at the same time it hurts performance. There's more cache to look through so it takes longer for it to figure out it has to go out and bring data to cache. A big cache (ie 2MB) really only shines when you are doing 3D modeling.
not only does the X2 4800+ perform better, but it costs less
wtf are you talking about? Yes the X2 performs better but an X2 4800($787-$1018) is way more expensive than a Pentium D 840 ($525-$689)

robsuz

It was interesting to see that AMD had many more votes than Intel.

I actually started off with AMD and really liked them, but somewhere in mid stream I switched. At work I have a P4 3G Intel socket 478, at home, I have a Celeron 2.6G overclocked to 3.1G socket 478.

Even without it being overclocked I still think my home PC is faster than my work PC.

Lax

VIP Member
I actually started off with AMD and really liked them, but somewhere in mid stream I switched. At work I have a P4 3G Intel socket 478, at home, I have a Celeron 2.6G overclocked to 3.1G socket 478.

Even without it being overclocked I still think my home PC is faster than my work PC.
Faster in speed maybe, but definately not performance.

robsuz

Perhaps Lord A, but I don't have that experience. I was thinking next go around I would switch and try AMD. I've been reading a fair amount of good press.

I'm not really into gaming, but rather using my PC for digital photo software editing, surfing the net and some word processing. Intel seems to do just fine with these simple tasks. But still I would be open to trying the AMD. And one never knows, I might like it better. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Intel is much more compatible with most of the hardware n softwares.
Possibly (although i doubt it) but regardless, even if, it would be by an imperceptable margin

they are both realy the same both eaqual in good and bad point dont really matter what u chose but now its more to do with gpu choice
Not to be uncreative and emulate Crommy but... have you ever encoded XviD on an Intel box?

yeah but intels are better in video encoding decoding and stuff like that, but that doesn't bother me cuz i don't do that stuff
Too bad you also dont know what you're talking about. Unfortunate since you had so much potential for non-ignorance. (if im being too subtle consider my previous comment). But at least you're honest with the ignorance

Whats the difference between Hypertransport and Hyperthreading. It had no reason with me buying AMD, but Im still curious whats so great about them both.
Read here about hypertransports read here about hyperthreading. Alternatively see CPU101

what makes you say that? thats what i thought before trying out an amd, and the cpu in my sign performs much better at gaming and at 3dmark then my P4 3Ghz w/ht.
I dunno, it might be a im-not-a-teenager thing but since when does 3dmark matter?
Any reason for that, or are you chasing again
Looks like it's just a way to keep the account alive? I might have to do something about that ;)

and for powerpc, i never heard about it, what is powerpc??
Gooooooooooogle

i wish i had an intel now, i want to get into video editing, but there is no way that i can do that with my sempron 2800+ its even oc'd to 2Ghz.
LOL sure you can my TBred could handle it so yer Sempy can no sweat

I have an Intel and also had the same in my previous CPU, so have no basis for comparison.
Hehe thats one of the most well educated posts in this entire thread. Mondo respect

About the 512 cache or 256, i still don't understand, what is it?
CPU 101.

some people voted for others, well is there other processors different from AMD, intel and powerpc???
Motorola was a big one, Texas Insturments, Cyrix

VIA makes a line of processors but they are mostly used on their Mini-ITX motherboards.
oooh i missed one :p

I love looking back on posts made in 2003
Should we dig out yours? Believe it or not, there's a catalog.....

ye amd have been veery eficiant that is till intel release there 62nm proccess cpu and then intel might become more efficiant
Ever hear of the PentiumIII?

Ians giving the website away for free????
hehe you have to qiualify to buy it ... terms to be decided :p

AMD all the way, way faster and runs cooler
Last time I checked, they werent faster :)

wtf are you talking about.. larger cache=faster performance
Yes of course, consider the Prescott with 1MB of cache ... now lets consider the Prescott2M with, you guessed it, 2MB of cache ... now lets do some PiFast using say, 8K FFTs (i.e., all inside L2) and you'll see who wins (the important piece of information you're missing is that the L2 for the Prescott2M is 17% slower than that for the Prescott)

and AMD chips use 1mb (as well as 512kb) L2's now, and also have larger L1's than P4 chips. (64kb+64kb vs 12kb+16kb)
How do you compare the differences between inclusive and exclusive caching algorithms? (because, of course, you know that Intel uses one approach and AMD the other and that they cant be directly compared)

No amount of fancy/fast hardware can live up to it's name if the end user is bombarding the computer with all kinds of crap.
Ever so true

A big cache (ie 2MB) really only shines when you are doing 3D modeling.
Hmm how about a masssive SQL transaction load? Would that be benificial or detrimental?

Geoff

VIP Member
A few days ago i had my windows open in my room and it was around 45F, so i turn my computer on and a few minutes after it was in windows these were my temps:

COLD.jpg

Charles_Lee

zkiller said:
i preffer AMD. and no, they are not the first to go 64 bit. apple/mac beat them to it.

i preffer amd also, just because i hear most of people saying "amd is good for gaming"

but wow!, I didn't know that apple/mac is the first company to develop 64bit.

thanks for the information.

Last edited:

fade2green514

intel = faster bus speed, amd = faster chip. thats pretty much how i see it and even though it isnt exact (because cache sizes and such need to be taken into account) thats what i go by when i buy my processor. i think that the tables may turn in the next year or so though, YONAH may take over the markettt... intel might turn the tableeess! finally, some pentium 3 architecture back into the picture. what in the world were they waiting for?? lol..

i.Angel

Intel for now... I don't know if I want to switch to AMD for gaming though. My friend's PC is pretty fast and he only has a 3200+ and an X800... are AMD's that much faster?