Windows 10

Punk

Staff member
Geoff: give me a good reason why should i pay for an OPS?
first of all i mostly use my PC for Web Browsing and Streaming,my main OPS is Ubuntu 14.04 and and as you know it's free, it does all i need same as Win and as streaming video i think it does it better because i don't have worries about streaming all sites,no need for Protection,when i use Win always i'm worried i get infected with virus and malware crap on some sites,since i don't pay for any software protections.

Well if you're worried about getting a virus on Windows with free A-V because you're streaming, that means the website you're streaming on aren't safe and legal.
Free a-v and intelligent browsing is all you need on Windows, never got any virus since Win95 (first OS I ever used).

What do you mean Stranglehold? What happened?

silv55

Well if you're worried about getting a virus on Windows with free A-V because you're streaming, that means the website you're streaming on aren't safe and legal.
Free a-v and intelligent browsing is all you need on Windows, never got any virus since Win95 (first OS I ever used).

What do you mean Stranglehold? What happened?

what are you talking about illegal streams or websites? are you preaching morals? yes i watch all streaming sites, what's wrong with that? everybody does,i don't give a damn if they are legal or illegal,i'm not a cop to investigate,
there are plenty of cops out there to check if these sites are legal or not,it's not my duty or yours for that matter to foresee that,what i want is to watch my favorite sports and they are available, i pay my internet fee,so go preach morals to other door.

Punk

Staff member
what are you talking about illegal streams or websites? are you preaching morals? yes i watch all streaming sites, what's wrong with that? everybody does,i don't give a damn if they are legal or illegal,i'm not a cop to investigate,
there are plenty of cops out there to check if these sites are legal or not,it's not my duty or yours for that matter to foresee that,what i want is to watch my favorite sports and they are available, i pay my internet fee,so go preach morals to other door.

You really have to chill out dude, and please read the posts.

I'll translate what I said for you in easier terms:

Safe browsing/intelligent browsing on Windows = no viruses

I don't care if they are legal or not, I don't care where I watch my streams on Windows = Chances of viruses, adware increased.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Geoff: give me a good reason why should i pay for an OPS?
first of all i mostly use my PC for Web Browsing and Streaming,my main OPS is Ubuntu 14.04 and and as you know it's free, it does all i need same as Win and as streaming video i think it does it better because i don't have worries about streaming all sites,no need for Protection,when i use Win always i'm worried i get infected with virus and malware crap on some sites,since i don't pay for any software protections.
Because some people prefer Mac OS X or Windows, either for ease of use, compatibility with apps, or because it's required for work that the user does with their computer. Linux is great, but OS X and Windows are also great, even though they cost money.

If you need support, you aren't going to get that with a free distro of Linux.

Punk

Staff member
If you need support, you aren't going to get that with a free distro of Linux.

Actually when it comes to help you can find some great advices on the Linux forums. At least for Ubuntu and Mint, both distros I tried.

Apart from that, I agree and second what you said.

It will open for about 3 seconds then just close. Didn't happen till after the 74 update.

I thought it was my version not working but I can't even get into windows store.

Geoff

VIP Member
Actually when it comes to help you can find some great advices on the Linux forums. At least for Ubuntu and Mint, both distros I tried.

Apart from that, I agree and second what you said.

I thought it was my version not working but I can't even get into windows store.
I'm talking about phone support, not community support.

StrangleHold

Staff member

I haven't even tried. Surprisingly it opens Windows Store just fine. If this thing is released in July they have a lot of bugs to work out. Seems a lot of bugs are different on different computer setups.

Punk

Staff member
I haven't even tried. Surprisingly it opens Windows Store just fine. If this thing is released in July they have a lot of bugs to work out. Seems a lot of bugs are different on different computer setups.

It might be coming from my VM too, I'm a total noob at VMs :)

spirit

Staff member
10074 is a build that has worked well for me in VMware at least. There are still a few bugs but it's much improved over 10061 and the earlier builds. To me at least, this is the byuild that signals RTM is near! :D

Microsoft has announced the different versions of Windows 10 that will be available, see here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ing-windows-10-editions/#.VVPEqxXKSY4.twitter

The rumours about subscription aren't true for the time being by the way and the free upgrade to 10 from 8.1 and 7 will only be free for the first year. The rumours about 10 being the final major release are true however - Microsoft has announced that too.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
The rumours about subscription aren't true for the time being by the way and the free upgrade to 10 from 8.1 and 7 will only be free for the first year. The rumours about 10 being the final major release are true however - Microsoft has announced that too.

Meh and meh...just not feeling windows 10 at all to be honest. :cool:

Cant wait for the day that Linux finally can run games at the same level or better than windows..then its goodbye.

spirit

Staff member
Just to clear up any confusion about the free upgrade, the upgrade to 10 is free for the first year that 10 is on sale. Once you have upgraded, 10 is free on that device. See:

Microsoft said:
As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

** More information about the free upgrade offer can be found at Windows.com.

It's not a case that you have to pay to use Windows 10 a year after the upgrade!

Personally I think Windows 10 will be one of the best versions there has been so far. 8.1 is my favourite. It will be interesting to see how it works on a touch device compared to 8.1. I'll be using it on my Surface Pro when it comes out and we'll have it on 25 Surface 3s at school.

Last edited:

C4C

Just to clear up any confusion about the free upgrade, the upgrade to 10 is free for the first year that 10 is on sale. Once you have upgraded, 10 is free on that device. See:

It's not a case that you have to pay to use Windows 10 a year after the upgrade!

That's good to know... I got a copy of Win 8.1 from a MS employee ($25!) and I'll be doing the upgrade to Win10.

I currently have no issues with the Tech Preview besides the super slow and laggy search bars (they pull from the store and bing too).
I also dislike the automatic updates but oh well.. Liking 10074 quite a bit since that start menu takes over the whole screen...

spirit

Staff member
10074 was one of the best builds. They released 10122 the other week but it's not as stable at 10074 and upon upgrading to 10122 from 10074 my Start Menu tiles got messed up and there was a noticeable decrease in performance.

10125 was leaked the other day, I'm just downloading it now. Apparently it introduces more aero/blurry/transparent effects (like we saw on the Start Menu in builds 10074 and 10122), the same Windows Image Backup that Windows 7 had and also Windows Hello which is facial recognition log-in.

Cant wait for the day that Linux finally can run games at the same level or better than windows..then its goodbye.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying that they want to move to Linux 'when Linux does what Windows can do'. People have been saying that for years and years now. I'm not sure if Linux will ever do everything that Windows can do. I think it may just be wishful thinking believing that one day it will. I suppose it depends on what you want to do though. If you want to browse the internet and write emails then Linux has been able to do that for years but if you want to play games or run stuff like CAD software or other software that is only available on Windows, I think you'll be waiting some time!

A lot of people I know who went to Linux because 'they were tired of Windows' ended up going back eventually, usually because of things like driver support or installing Linux and then finding out that some software they'd been using a lot on Windows doesn't work on Linux.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
So here is the leaked Build 10125. It features a new icon set (much nicer than the icons in previous builds and a lot closer to those in Windows 7 and 8.1), a new sound set, Windows Hello, a transparent Action Centre, Windows 7 Image Backup and interestingly no option to make the Start Screen take over the whole screen on Desktop Mode unless you enable it in the Personalisation panel as seen in the screenshot below:

The theme I am using is the Reflections Theme by the way, you can download it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/reflections-download-theme see more themes here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/themes

Krovos

I downloaded 10125 today and I am pretty dissapointed with Windows 10. Here are my thoughts...

- "The start menu is back!"
I've been using StartMenu8 on Windows 8 since the moment I installed it. Win10 restoring the start menu i feel is hyped fanboyism for Windows as a brand; this option has been available for years through other software developers . Something I actually grew accustom to was right clicking the start menu for system programs to navigate myself around my computer, which in my opinion was a nice step from Windows 8 into 8.1. Surprisingly, with the absence of a start menu on an OS, I grew very accustomed to opening programs with cmd.exe and run.exe.

-Windowed Apps
How anyone likes to use Window's apps is beyond me, but throwing them into bordered box still doesn't gain my affection. Windows apps are clunky and take FOREVER to load up. Also, this is a feature you could have received in Win8/8.1 using "Modern Mix".

-Microsoft Edge (Project Spartan)
I don't like referring to myself as a Google fanboy, but I do believe Google provides superior productivity and browsing software. Being a Chrome user, Spartan seems very clunky to me. Browsing doesn't feel as fluent and I can't think of a possible reason to ever use "web-notes". I believe software companies now a days have a profound ability to convince an audience to use features that in theory no one really needs to use in the first place. Call me a critic, but web notes seems to be that sort of feature.

-Cortana
Cortana is an interesting adaptation to a desktop operating system, but I feel like this is Microsofts attempt at competing on a playing field no one wants to use. Voice commands prove very useful on mobile platforms, but there is a very special peripheral that desktops have which most mobile devices do not, a keyboard. Am I really saving much time navigating through Cortana as opposed to a normal web browser or search bar? I think not.

-Taskview
The only feature I support and enjoy within Windows 10! I don't know what else to say other than you can now snap to additional grids that were unavailable in Windows 8/8.1.

Overall, Windows 10 feels like Windows 8 "Makeover Edition". I was expecting something more revolutionary and innovative to come from Microsoft, but seemed to prove myself wrong. Microsoft has not done anything that hadn't been done in the past from other developers, they just took everyone else's ideas, jammed it all into their OS, and said, "MINE!"

Laquer Head

I just got 32-bit windows 10 working on an ancient HP MINI 110 netbook.

Intel Atom, 2GB DDR2 667, and an SSD

Had countless DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION shutdowns..but after new firmware and some other tweaks its working relatively smooth

Punk

Staff member
Well Windows 10 upgrade is available now!

There is a little windows Icon in my icon on the right next to my date and time that offers you the free upgrade to the full version of win10. It tells you can either install it now or program a date on which you want it to install.

WhoX

Well Windows 10 upgrade is available now!

There is a little windows Icon in my icon on the right next to my date and time that offers you the free upgrade to the full version of win10. It tells you can either install it now or program a date on which you want it to install.

Got the icon too, but it tells me "reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 now. It will download once available...". Included is a presentation of Windows 10's new features.