Windows 10

Jiniix

Home is 0.000001% faster. It's minimal.
However, I'm fairly sure Home doesn't allow Group Policy editing. So you can't set updates to manual instead of automatic.

You have to stop the update service too at the same time.
I prefer just a quick reboot to Safe Mode, since you have to restart anyway.

Dimitri

Home is 0.000001% faster. It's minimal.
However, I'm fairly sure Home doesn't allow Group Policy editing. So you can't set updates to manual instead of automatic.

I prefer just a quick reboot to Safe Mode, since you have to restart anyway.

Thanks!

strollin

The N and KN versions omit things like Windows Media Player and support for playing DVDs but there would not be any noticeable performance improvement.

Dimitri

I installed Win10 Pro N and now I'm trying to disable the automatic updating.

I'm following the group policy method (run and type in "mmc" -> add/remove snap in -> group policy object -> etc. etc.)

I follow the instructions to the end and when I close console 1 it says to me "Save console settings to Console 1?" None of the instructions I look at mention this and, obviously, I'm assuming I need to to tell it yes, but I'm wondering what does this do, does it save some kind of custom config file or what?

The N and KN versions omit things like Windows Media Player and support for playing DVDs but there would not be any noticeable performance improvement.

Thanks!

Jiniix

Run: "gpedit.msc"
In the directory tree (or w/e it's called) to the left, find Microsoft. There's "Search" and "Update", where you can disable Cortana and Update respectively.

Dimitri

I don't see Microsoft in the tree.

EDIT: I found it, its under a different section.

Turns out I have "Allow admin to adjust settings" enabled already, but every source I find says: To disable Windows 10 forced updates, go to Control Panel and select System and Security->Windows Update

Trouble is I don't have Windows Update in System and Security.

I'm on Win10 Pro N.

Last edited:

Jiniix

Just set it to something like "Download automatically but let user choose to install" in gpedit.msc. That's pretty much the closest you get to manual.
The new Settings (pretty much replacing Control Panel at this point) is terrible.

speedyink

VIP Member
Someones given me another computer with Windows 10 to look at, which has another different problem (surprise surprise)

From time to time the login screen doesn't show up or prompt a password, it just sits at a blank screen(Not sure if it's just when updates get installed, or if it's just the case with this time). No input seems to register, blindly typing in the password and pressing enter does nothing, and ctl alt del does nothing. This seems to be a known problem with old versions of the OS, but this one is entirely up to date. Luckily a hard reboot usually leads to it booting properly, but these are computers used in a business setting, it's not acceptable to have to do that.

Is there anyone else who's encountered this and has something for me to try? I went through all the start-up options and they're basically set to default. I've done a major clean and gotten rid of many unnecessary applications (or 'apps' I guess I should say..). I know this is probably a long shot, but hey, worth a try.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Clean install of 10 or was it upgraded from previous OS? Clean installs always seem to knock out certain types of bugs.

Darren

Staff member
For the record, I can confirm that you can clone drives with an unactivated W10 instaled on them and activate each machine individually with a Win 7 OEM product key that hasn't been upgraded to 10 before. Had 3 different sets of Dells I did this with and had no issues activating or cloning, just make sure BIOS settings match and you're good.

speedyink

VIP Member
Clean install of 10 or was it upgraded from previous OS? Clean installs always seem to knock out certain types of bugs.

I'm going to assume upgrade, considering there's a Windows 8 sticker on the bottom, and I really don't think the guys at the shop are technical savvy enough to do a clean install =P
Really didn't want to have to fresh install, but it's probably the only option for such an intermittent issue.. It looks like there's not a ton of specialty software for the business so it should't be so bad..

Darren

Staff member
Someones given me another computer with Windows 10 to look at, which has another different problem (surprise surprise)

From time to time the login screen doesn't show up or prompt a password, it just sits at a blank screen(Not sure if it's just when updates get installed, or if it's just the case with this time). No input seems to register, blindly typing in the password and pressing enter does nothing, and ctl alt del does nothing. This seems to be a known problem with old versions of the OS, but this one is entirely up to date. Luckily a hard reboot usually leads to it booting properly, but these are computers used in a business setting, it's not acceptable to have to do that.

Is there anyone else who's encountered this and has something for me to try? I went through all the start-up options and they're basically set to default. I've done a major clean and gotten rid of many unnecessary applications (or 'apps' I guess I should say..). I know this is probably a long shot, but hey, worth a try.

Thanks

Just now actually read this. I had this on a customer's computer a couple weeks ago, was an upgraded Win7 machine to 10. I attempted a system restore and after almost finishing the restore it said it had failed. Login screen was back though the next time I booted it up and it worked for the next day we had it and I haven't heard from the customer so I assume that fixed it. IIRC there was a Windows update that freaked it out and we just rolled it back when we did the system restore and then updated it again.

If there's an 8 sticker on the bottom than fresh install would just activate automatically I think.

Darren

Staff member
There are many of times system restore has actually worked to fix something, when in fact it says it has failed. Not sure what it failed on though.
Yeah this isn't the first time I've seen that happen. It obviously does something even if it throws an error code at the end.

speedyink

VIP Member
Well I talked to the guy at work who uses it, and he's ok with me doing a clean install. He said he wants Windows 8 back on it though so I guess that's what I'll be doing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately you won't be able to reactivate windows 8 if the upgrade to 10 was more then 30 days ago. Windows 8 license actually becomes a windows 10 license and you can't go back.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So. It seems the latest windows 10 iso file is bigger then what a regular DVD will hold. I just downloaded it now and its too big, I did it twice in fact just to make sure. So now your only option is using a usb drive or burning it to a bluray dvd. What the hell?

Darren

Staff member
So. It seems the latest windows 10 iso file is bigger then what a regular DVD will hold. I just downloaded it now and its too big, I did it twice in fact just to make sure. So now your only option is using a usb drive or burning it to a bluray dvd. What the hell?
As of when? I have a personal drive I keep a W10 installer on and it's 4.1GB from when I made it in January.