• AMD

Votes: 297 39.7%
  • PowerPC

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Cleric7x9

for what its worth, the users with more posts seem to support intel (with the exception of the previous post. maybe thats because the AMD ppl are still waiting for their computers to post their replies. lol jk. it was just an observation

I picked intel, 'cause of their core 2 duo being pretty fast. But for folding@home server I would use a fast AMD processor 'cause it's optimized for it.

So I guess I would say I would use a processor that's more suited for the job I was using it for.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
for what its worth, the users with more posts seem to support intel (with the exception of the previous post. maybe thats because the AMD ppl are still waiting for their computers to post their replies. lol jk. it was just an observation

Lol, you're right, hadn't noticed that. :rolleyes:

StrangleHold

Staff member
^^ No.... Intel has always been up top even when AMD releases there new things, Intel's old things are still faster.

B/S The Athlon was a match for the Pentium III and it came out in 1999. Then the XP Athlon came out in 2001 and was faster clock for clock then the P4, the Athlon 64 even made the P4 look even worse. The Intel Core 2 was the first processor that beat a AMD Athlon clock for clock since the Athlon was released.

Thats whats so amazing that people kick on AMD about the Phenom because being slower than a Core 2, and it took Intel 6 or 7 years to make a processor that could beat a AMD clock for clock with a budget 10 times bigger. The same people that rib AMD now are the same that bought P4s and Intel just sat back and laughed. Feed the machine.

ryurich

I choose AMD. They just seem to work better in my computers. Also, I've had some compatibility, driver, and stability issues with Intel processors and I found that my AMD runs every game at max and with no difficulty or problems.

Geoff

VIP Member
I choose AMD. They just seem to work better in my computers. Also, I've had some compatibility, driver, and stability issues with Intel processors and I found that my AMD runs every game at max and with no difficulty or problems.
What programs gave you issues with an Intel processor?

Machin3

In my second computer that I have for gaming, I bought the Intel ExTreme Quad Core. It has rediculous performance. It is top quality and gets the job done.

jediwannabe

Wait hold up... it seems that some of you guys have forgot the clock speeds is not all that matters...but L1, and L2 latency's and size as well...not to mention AMD's new HT tech..AMD ALL the way!!!

Geoff

VIP Member
Wait hold up... it seems that some of you guys have forgot the clock speeds is not all that matters...but L1, and L2 latency's and size as well...not to mention AMD's new HT tech..AMD ALL the way!!!
Yes, but clock for clock the Core 2's are much better :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Intel Xeons on my servers are work horses at work. They are far the highest end machines I have and do the best performance for the job.

I wish AMD would give them better competition.

jdbennet

Which model Xeon?

Only xeon i ever used was the pentium 3 - era ones in a compaq proliant

but they were FAST, especially when you had 2-4 of them

tlarkin

VIP Member
Which model Xeon?

Only xeon i ever used was the pentium 3 - era ones in a compaq proliant

but they were FAST, especially when you had 2-4 of them

The newest ones. Woodcrest or whatever they are called. I have 20 intel xeon Xserves I admin at work and they rock the crap out of everything else I have worked with in the past. Doing mass unicast imaging right now off them, and they can push out an 8 to 9 gig image to 20 clients at the same time in about 20 minutes.

Not too shabby.

vix

I was an AMD fan for a few years, but from an overclocking perspective, the current line of Intel chips will give you the best bang for your buck. The 45nm processors are incredibly fast and run cool.

Last edited:

Vizy

Its probably true that Intel is better right now. But go AMD, the cpu underdog!! :D

I bought AMD just because i was looking at the clocks and i had a budget.

Also, AMD, has a more...aftermarkety type name. You know? Like I'd rather have an AMD vinyl than an intel on my car in Need For speed.

Make sense :p

Mitch?

banned
i've always seen AMD as a bit more of the badass out of the two :p
i've never had issues with amd, and i figure a bit of support for them won't hurt, intel needs some competition...
i've got a 5000+ BE right now @ 3.2ghz and that was a great deal, and i'm planning on getting a Phenom 9850BE soon...
the motherboards for AMD cpus are way nicer for the price.... IMO at least.... i've got an MSI K9A2 and it works wonders... and it was $130 with a deal on newegg... 790fx chipset and all the stuff they crammed on there... nice cooling too (circupipe ftw)

HybridGoomba

Intel tends to be better quality(newer ones at least), but I decided to vote for AMD since they tend to offer decent performance for a good price, and a lot cheaper than Intel.

chibicitiberiu

I stick with Intel. If the AMD cpu gets too hot, you'll need a brand new motherboard, because it makes a "boom". But if Intel gets too hot, it just turns off the PC.
I don't know anything about PowerPC.

Cleric7x9

I stick with Intel. If the AMD cpu gets too hot, you'll need a brand new motherboard, because it makes a "boom". But if Intel gets too hot, it just turns off the PC.
I don't know anything about PowerPC.

i have never heard that AMD explodes when it gets too hot but intel just turns off. do you have proof that AMD CPUs explode when they overheat?